"Every house where love abides and friendship is a guest, is surely home, and home sweet home for there the heart can rest." -Henry Van Dyke

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Tomatoes sprouting more

My daily routine when I get up in the morning is to grab a cup of coffee and head upstairs to check my seedlings. Good news today, my organic roma and cherry tomatoes are doing well with more seeds germinating. I often wonder if I'm doing this correctly because I planted several veggies and flowers requiring different temperatures. Like what my husband said, it's trial and error. I'm doing my best and reading up on everything I'm aspiring to grow. 


I'm new to starting from seeds and learning a little everyday. The romaine lettuce seems to favor more moisture and the small fan blowing a gentle breeze is helping them from becoming leggy. I've had the leggy issue and it's frustrating! Setting up the fan on low, making sure everything is getting enough water, light or heat is keeping them alive. I noticed how much more attention seedlings need as they emerge. It has been a couple of days and my jalapenos haven't germinated yet, could it be wrong temperature or bad seeds? I read that peppers can be a challenge.      

Romaine lettuce on the bottom and parsley growing on top tray, tons of seedlings to thin out!   

I'm eager to use the new deep-root tray from gardeners.com I received the other day as a birthday gift. It arrived late because whoever packed the box with other items I ordered forgot to put the tray inside so it got shipped separately. In addition, I needed organic germinating soil mix and that turned out to be backordered so my plans on sowing the heirloom tomatoes will be delayed. Hopefully, it won't be too late to plant more tomatoes! However, it's probably a great idea to have something to look forward to making gardening much more exciting.

Deep-root seedstarting tray with a pack of Heirloom Tomatoes waiting to be planted!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4/24/2010

    You can always play Farmtown again. Everything germinates ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by. I love reading your comments and thank you for taking the time. Have a wonderful day! :-)

♥ Priscilla