"Every house where love abides and friendship is a guest, is surely home, and home sweet home for there the heart can rest." -Henry Van Dyke

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Love of Herbs!

I step inside my garden and delight in the scent of beautiful herbs. I'm crazy about the aroma of fresh herbs, they're not only therapeutic, used for medicinal purposes, but adds amazing flavors to healthy dishes. I have a tiny garden with raised beds for veggies, all I could do is keep plants in containers due to garden size and gopher issues. Whatever space you have use it gladly :)

For a closer look I'm growing Pesto Basil, Tuscan Rosemary, and Variegated Oregano. I don't know about you but I have a thing after picking fresh herbs, I sniff them in my hands and get ecstatic about cooking... 

I used to have a smaller box for these herbs but my husband lovingly built a larger one out of wood scraps he found in the garage. I noticed all the herbs growing bigger, nice!

A variety of delicious Basil I keep separately because I use them often: Sweet Basil, Large Leaf Italian, and Spicy Basil. Do you have a favorite Basil? 

From left to right: English Mint and Ginger Mint  

Mint are garden invasive according to my research so they're perfect in containers, they also repel insect pests and deers don't care for them. Mint have the kind of sweet fragrance that energizes with a fresh cool after taste. How about combining mint with coffee for a refreshing summer drink?

♥ Kahlua Iced Coffee with Nutmeg and Mint  

If you're a coffee lover like me, keep reading! Here's a quick recipe for you.

Ingredients:
(Serves 1)
  • Fresh brewed coffee (we prefer Extra Bold French Roast)
  • 1-2 tbsp non dairy creamer or 1/2 and 1/2, adjust amount to your desire
  • 1-2 tbsp Kahlua® Liqueur 
  • 1 tsp granulated sugar or natural sweetener
  • Ice cubes
  • 3-4 leaves of fresh Mint, it's mild but you can add 1/4 tsp mint liqueur if necessary    
  • About 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

Directions: 
1. Pour coffee in about an 8 ounce glass over ice, add cream and stir.
2. Add 1 tsp sugar and 1-2 tbsp Kahlua® Liqueur to iced coffee and blend well, adjust to taste. 
3. Combine about 3 leaves of fresh mint with iced coffee and let flavor seep in, sprinkle with ground nutmeg, then garnish with a mint. Perfect to have with chocolate Biscotti while hanging out with a friend!    
   


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. Love the info, love the recipe! I think I am going to go make that right now! You are so grateful. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely garden & plants photos.
    Nice clean blog layout(easier on the eye) makes the greenery stand out.

    Mint & coffee , hmmmmmmmmmmmm sure will give it a try . Usually I take mint with my tea :)

    Ginger mint ?! never heard of it but definitely will look it up.

    Love those herb wooden boxes your husband.

    All the best
    Ibrahim
    Ajman UAE (zone 11)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mad about Garden for the nice comment! Mint is good with tea but it's really good with iced coffee, it has a fresh flavor! I love the wooden herb boxes too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful! My parsley is starting to come in and I am so excited, but I haven't had much success growing other herbs from seed.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by. I love reading your comments and thank you for taking the time. Have a wonderful day! :-)

♥ Priscilla