"Every house where love abides and friendship is a guest, is surely home, and home sweet home for there the heart can rest." -Henry Van Dyke

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Beginning of My Organic Tomatoes and Goodbye?

Roma Tomatoes

This morning I woke up quite early, not enough sleep from excessive stress taking a toll on me. I haven't been able to water my plants or veggies for a couple days due from being sick. The weather has been terribly hot and dry that tending my garden must be done before the sun appears or I get dizzy in the summer heat. I had a migraine for 3 awful days and was recovering from a cold which led to sinus infection.

Cherry Tomatoes

I expected container plants to be shriveled up but to my surprise (again) they all looked alright. In my garden today, tiny tomatoes finally bloomed and made me smile. Roma and Cherry Tomatoes are bearing small fruit except the Heirloom which I heard takes time. I started from organic seeds back in February indoor under fluorescent lights. It seems like I waited very long. It's a miracle to watch seeds germinate, become seedlings, then suddenly be over a foot and still growing strong! My enthusiasm comes from being new to vegetable gardening, in case you're wondering. 

Tricolor Beans, Flower Blossoms

 2 x 4 Vegetable Raised Bed

My husband and I received sudden news that the cabin we're living in is being sold as soon as possible, perhaps in the next two months or by the end of this year. We have no choice because we don't own the property. We're having financial difficulties because the lack of employment. I'm aware we're not alone since plenty of people I know are out of work and suffering in this economic crisis. If you're going through it don't give up, try to remain positive. I can relate, we understand.  

Took awhile for the Leaf Lettuce to grow

We're not sure where we'll move or if I'll have a garden at all. Honestly, I might be writing my last post until I know where we stand. I love my garden, it makes me truly sad but that's the reality of it all. The Tomatoes are still babies and green but hopefully I'll see fruits ripen and maybe make it to the end of the growing season. I wonder if I'll have a chance to harvest my very first vegetables, or if I'll have to pull them out allowing them to die. I don't know anyone with room or patience to take care of my edible garden. After all the hard work and effort, I might have to let them go. I had plans of making and freezing tomato sauce, grilling vegetables, making salsa, and preparing salads but now things are uncertain. That's life, plans change, and only God knows what's best.

My list of healthy veggies and fruits planted in organic soil with a desire for us to independently grow our own food in sustainable ways. No pesticides, harmful chemicals, or synthetic fertilizers were used:

  • 3 Roma Tomatoes
  • 3 Cherry Tomatoes, 1 Cherry Delight 
  • 3 Heirloom Tomatoes: Green Zebra,  Brandywine, and Marvel Stripe
  • 1 Tomatillo (grown not from seed) 
  • 3 Heirloom Zucchinis
  • 3 Heirloom Green Beans, 3 Tricolor Beans  
  • 1 Arcadia Broccoli (grown not from seed)                  
  • Potatoes, Red and Fingerling (grown not from seed)  
  • Variety of Leaf Lettuce 
  • 2 Jalapeno Peppers 
  • 1 Serrano Pepper (grown not from seed)
  • 5 Strawberries: Sequoia, Quinault, Pretty in Pink Everbearing (grown not from seed

I'm growing 6 types of Basil, I'm crazy about them! In this container: Cinnamon, Thai, and Red Rubin Basil. The others in the garden bed are Italian Large Leaf, Sweet Basil, and Spicy Basil.

We have many herbs for cooking. If I'll be able to, I'm going to take my container garden wherever we go. I'm genuinely grateful to live in the mountains for even a short time. The door of making a home here probably closed on us because of better opportunities. I'll announce what's going on when we find out. It has been awesome meeting other passionate gardeners and excellent bloggers out there. Thank you for following my garden blog, I appreciate you all. This is not a final goodbye but goodbye for now. Farewell to my little garden?

More Sweet Strawberries are blooming 

Have a great weekend to everyone!      

9 comments:

  1. Hi Priscilla, Sorry to hear you have been sick, I also get migraines so I can relate. Also very discouraging to hear about the job and sudden moving situation. We had something very similar when we were first married, and it did turn out good after all. I am glad to hear you have faith that God will take care of you. I also understand about having to leave your little garden, I know what it means to you. I just know that you will have a new home with somewhere to plant something , and one day you will have a garden three times as biog as mine ! Chin up sweetie, Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gina, that was very sweet and kind. We might end up in a room, maybe move back with my parents. We'll figure it out later...But yes someday I'll have a bigger garden and will grow vegetables again! God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Priscilla I'm so sorry to read that you have been sick - and its dreadful news about the Cabin going up for sale. I'm not sure what the real estate market is like with you but maybe you'll be able to stay long enough to harvest your first crops. I know it will be hard to leave a garden that you have put so much effort into - I would feel exactly the same but I know you too have faith that all things work together for good to them that love the Lord.


    God Bless you and your husband in the days ahead :)Rosie .........your scripture tag says it all (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pricilla, I'm so sorry to hear the news - doesn't you landlord need to give you 2 or 3 months notice if thet plan to sell? the rules here are 3 months written notice.

    I do hope that you get to stay long enough to see your plants mature, and you get to harvest them.

    And please don't stop writing posts. We all go through changes and I would be sad if you didn't keep us all updated on where you are going. It's all part of the journey which isn't a perfect road.

    Feel better and keep me updated on those lovely organic veggies you are growing.

    PS: which strawberry did you like the best out of those varieties?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Look at you grow! Looks amazing and so glad you are up and (hopefully) feeling a lot better! I know those headaches like to creep back so hope they stay away!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Rosie, Stevie, and Melissa. I won't quit writing, it might just be awhile until I have a garden again. I'm hoping to harvest my veggies before we move. I'll keep everyone updated! I'm not leaving my blog. Thanks for the comforting and encouraging comments, I appreciate my followers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Priscilla ~ I'm new to your blog and am sorry to hear you will be moving and having to leave your wonderful little garden behind. God will provide and you will have a place just right for you. This little garden at the cabin was only the beginning.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks FlowerLady. I visited your blog, what a wonderful garden you have! I appreciate your encouraging comment. I strongly believe I'll have another garden someday. We don't know when this cabin here will sell so I'll continue to garden and write. Thanks for following, I'll keep blogging. God bless :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, Priscilla! I truly hope you'll continue to blog, even if you don't have a garden for a while. There's other blotonists without blogs that log on, read posts, and communicate with friends. My husband has been out of work for 3 years. We've actually become very resourceful and live quite well with what we have. I wish you all the best and hope to continue hearing from you!!

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by. I love reading your comments and thank you for taking the time. Have a wonderful day! :-)

♥ Priscilla