"Every house where love abides and friendship is a guest, is surely home, and home sweet home for there the heart can rest." -Henry Van Dyke

Saturday, July 17, 2010

First Lettuce Harvest with Healthy Recipes

I harvested my first leaf lettuce yesterday and we enjoyed a variety of wonderful greens. I'm ecstatic about vegetable gardening knowing what went on our table was homegrown and fresh, no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers but look at how healthy they are! I grew the lettuce from seeds, it amazes me as a beginner and the taste can't compare from store bought.       

We have plenty to last all season, I can keep coming back with this basket for harvest. I look forward to growing other varieties in the future! Lettuce was definitely worth the wait and I have a feeling we'll be eating more salads than before. This is the first time my husband and I had salad straight from the garden! Thanks to Seeds of Change, Renee's Garden, and Botanical Interests for the packet of seeds. Here we have Merlot, Summer Lettuce Bouquet, Red Sails, and Oak Leaf Lettuce. Perfect for Summer since they won't bolt as fast.

Organic Mixed Salad with herbs from my garden topped with Goat cheese and slivered almonds. Hubby said it was the best salad he ever had, awww such a sweet compliment! We eat very well, his tummy is always happy :) The texture of lettuce was both buttery and crispy. Moreover, herbs gave wonderful aroma and flavor. For a quick recipe you can prepare: I combined Red with Green Leaf Lettuce, Cilantro, Parsley, Sweet Basil, Variegated Oregano, and chopped Green Onions. Garnish with almonds and Goat Cheese (substitute whatever cheese you prefer). I also added a dash of salt, fresh ground black pepper, and about 1/4 tsp all natural Frontier Salad Sprinkle Seasoning Blend.

I served the salad for two with my homemade dressing. Savory Shallots Garlic Vinaigrette was excellent with a nice balance of flavors. You can adjust the vinegar and oil according to taste. Ingredients were: 1 tbsp chopped Shallots, 2 cloves minced fresh Garlic, 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, about 4 tbsp red wine vinegar, 1 tbsp Lemon juice, 1/4 tsp dried Parsley, 1/4 tsp onion powder, a dash of salt, and fresh ground black pepper. Combine together well.

Strawberry Lemon Water with Pineapple Mint

Another quick recipe for summer! Add fruit to your water, we're drinking more water and it's a refreshing, natural way to add flavor. For a glass: Slice about 3 Strawberries, 2 Lemons, and add ice. Garnish with Pineapple Mint or English Mint if you have any. You can make a pitcher to last for awhile if you desire. Slice a handful of Strawberries and 1 small lemon, then add a tray of ice and some Mint

Pineapple Mint from my garden. I recently found out how good this was with water but it's optional if you don't care for it. However, Mint would probably be great with homemade jams, tea, and some desserts. By the way what veggies are growing in your garden? Have a fabulous and relaxing weekend everyone!     

17 comments:

  1. First harvest of lettuce? Very nice. I have yet to harvest any. My first batch was eaten up by some bug. Like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi One, thanks for the comment. Yes, it's my first time growing lettuce. I mostly grow flowers and herbs but not veggies so it's exciting! I'm sorry about the bug in your garden, there has to be a natural repellent perhaps a garlic pesticide? Try gardenersnet.com/spray

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it wonderful - and so economical. I go out every morning and gather a mixture of leaves for the salad at lunchtime. I agree it tastes so good and you know that there have been no nasty things sprayed on it or that its not been washed in some type of chemical. Your recipe sounds delicious - you're such a good homemaker :) Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salad greens from your own garden, how wonderful! Your drink looks delightful too. Looking at your mint reminds me of a nice drink I had recently that is made of mint leaves blended with crushed ice cubes and added with a dash of lemon juice. We use fresh mint leaves here to garnish curry noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want that drink! I can't even think of anything else to say right now...
    Well, other than your creativity is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the sweet comment Rosie. I truly enjoy homemaking and it's wonderful to harvest fresh ingredients from the garden for cooking! Thanks Autumn Belle and Tiffany for the awesome comments. Have a great day to all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm.....looks tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your harvest looks yummy, as do the recipes! I love all things organic

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing lettuce! I started some seeds at the beginning of the season, but the dog ate them out of the containers while they were still sprouts! I had no idea he liked salad!
    -Kimmi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Gloria, thanks! Organic is the best and so much better for us :) @ Kimmi: Sorry about your lettuce. The good thing is, it's easy to grow leaf lettuce and they don't take that long. Try again, it's so worth growing! I can't wait to try other varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The lettuce looks so good! The slugs kept eating ours and finally I gave up. Everything you added to the salad sounds delicious, I love goat cheese on just about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Priscilla, what a lovely harvest...and yummy dinner! Love your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Kimberly, the salad was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your lettuce looks wonderful! I've had one successful lettuce harvest but my last two were eaten by rabbits. I'm going to try again, though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a beautiful salad and you can't help but love eating healthy when it tastes like this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the post! Loved it. And also congrats on the lettuce harvest! I am just harvesting my second round of asian greens-stir fry blend which is really spicy. Maybe you would like it? I get my seeds from West Coast Seeds which is kinda far away from you but maybe there is an equivalent some where. Oh, and amazing recipes. I am trying that salad dressing :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks gorgeous and super yummy!!

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by. I love reading your comments and thank you for taking the time. Have a wonderful day! :-)

♥ Priscilla