"Every house where love abides and friendship is a guest, is surely home, and home sweet home for there the heart can rest." -Henry Van Dyke

Saturday, July 3, 2010

June Beetle Yikes!

I moved my container of Hydrangeas to our front porch where it could get shade and guess what I found? I wasn't sure at first but after looking it up online I learned we have June Beetle, destructive creepy crawlers! After they lay eggs in the soil or lawn, their grubs do damage. They eventually destroy crops, roses, grass, and plants as they eat the roots. Horrible things a Beetle can do. I've only seen one that rested on my Hydrangeas but we'll have to get rid of this bug before it multiplies. What kind of garden pests have you dealt with?  

Check out my Salvia. I've been trying to attract Hummingbirds for quite sometime. They often come around the garden close to my face and I'm never ready to take a decent photograph, they're way too fast! This Salvia (Beard Tongue) is such a pretty shade of pink. Salvias are suppose to attract Hummingbirds, bees, and butterflies. This particular one resembles Foxglove and mine is no longer in bloom so I had to cut it down.  

Our nectar feeder hanging on a tree. The Hummingbirds don't stay long but I was lucky to get a distant picture. One of these days I'll get a better one. Well my friends, have a great weekend and Happy 4th of July!      

8 comments:

  1. I have no idea what insects are what most of the time..I know a bee, I know an ant, I know a ladybug, I know a garden spider, I know a pill-bug , I know a cricket and a dragonfly. That's about it ! So you taught me something new , thanks ! Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gina. I want the Ladybugs to come back, no more Beetles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your salvia is beautiful and the Hummingbirds should love it. It looks like the butterflies are loving your blooms too and your lily is just so pretty.
    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dealt with some yellow milkweed aphids today. I didn't know what they were until I googled the description...thank goodness for google;-) I will probably write a post about them at some point but I have been very slow with my blogging for the past couple of months. There has been a lot to do in the garden and some travelling that has prevented me from spending time blogging. I think I have 2 salvia's just like yours. I planted them just recently and haven't posted about them yet. I had a hummingbird visit a couple of times, and got 2 blurry photos...but then I never saw him again;-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. My new little pest control is our new puppy. Every time he goes outside at night I look down and he is eating a june bug. :)
    The main pest that has really bothered me this summer is the Leaf-Footed bug! They are all over the place and in my tomatoes. Pretty photos and beautiful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the sweet comment Amy. What kind of puppy do you have? We can't have dogs right now but someday we'd love to have a few!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Priscilla. I have beetles, too. The grubs chew the roots and are VERY destructive! Luckily, the armodillas take care of the grubs, but they leave holes in the lawn. Hmmmm! Which is worse?! In the SE FLorida tropics, we have LOTS of pests...the humid heat encourages them. It's a constant battle.

    I've been trying to attract hummingbirds, too, but have been unusucessful thus far. I'll keep trying. Your salvia is beautiful...I can see why the hummers like them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kimberly, I'm sorry to hear about your Beetle problems. Although your climate is humid, you don't have to deal with snow and short growing season. I'd love to live where it's warmer! We're temporarily renting a cabin here in the mountains. I can't wait for the Hummingbirds to come back, I need to plant more of those Salvias!

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by. I love reading your comments and thank you for taking the time. Have a wonderful day! :-)

♥ Priscilla