"Every house where love abides and friendship is a guest, is surely home, and home sweet home for there the heart can rest." -Henry Van Dyke

Sunday, August 8, 2010

All about nature

I love birds and nature, we're surrounded by wildlife in the woods! We have our bird feeder near my garden tied with a twine way high up on the tree (to hopefully prevent Squirrels from stealing seeds). Here a red-headed woodpecker landed on the feeder, luckily my husband was able to photograph him from the living room window.      
Looked like he was going to fall ... the feeder slowly spins around and the woodpecker just goes with it! 

This bird loved munching and we were entertained.

Yummy seeds, I'll be back again!

My awesome dad in-law took this picture of a beautiful mountain quail near the creek, they've been around often with their babies. I'm hearing tons of birds outside singing and happily chirping as I write. It's a nice sunny afternoon, I'm going to relax with tea. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!   

11 comments:

  1. Priscilla, I think you must live on a beautiful portion of God's earth that such stunning creatures would want to live there. I love your pictures... I have never seen such a beautiful quail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Meredehuit! It's beautiful here especially when you hear the creek running.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful birds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's real funny when 9 or 10 of the babies are following their mom. We gotta get video of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow Priscilla you have some beauties there - I've never seen birds like this before. We live near the woods aswell and its such a wonderful chorus listening to them singing especially in the evenings - not so good when the dawn chorus wakes you up at 5 am though lol

    :) Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful quail Priscilla. I have never saw one before. I love the colors of it. Your woodpecker is so pretty too. I love watching the birds so much. The raccoons destroyed about all of my bird feeders.One last week had the bottom chewed right out of it after I made it so they could not get it down from the tree. Pesky varmints. LOL! I have one old metal one left so I will see how they destroy it LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Aaron, Rosie, and Lona for the comments. I appreciate nature and I'm glad we live in the woods! @ Rosie, thank God we haven't been disturbed by bird noise but sometimes we have Woodpeckers pecking loudly on the cabin waking us up. @ Lona, Raccoons are pesky and will go through trash but they're good to us around here so far! We fed young ones during the winter with dog biscuits and haven't bothered us. I haven't seen them for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful birds! I love them too. If you somehow fashion a post to the bottom of teh feeder, the woodpecker will be able to balance on it. We do that on the suet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woah, those birds are beautiful. I've never seen that coloring on a quail before.

    Thanks for sharing the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Priscilla, you have a lovely home surrounded with beautiful nature that is like a gift from mother nature itself! Enjoy them! And my name is Joyce, nice to "meet" you (he!he! it is the nice thing to say, since you know my name now!). You are the first person to ask for my name. But to others, I would prefer to be known as kitchen flavours. You mentioned that your inlaws are going to sell this place, hope that you will find another one just as beautiful as this! Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Joyce, I appreciate the compliment! Nice to meet you too :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by. I love reading your comments and thank you for taking the time. Have a wonderful day! :-)

♥ Priscilla