"Every house where love abides and friendship is a guest, is surely home, and home sweet home for there the heart can rest." -Henry Van Dyke

Monday, August 16, 2010

Leaving my garden for a week

Statice, the newest bloom in my garden have an interesting texture. It feels like paper to touch. I love the soothing color and these flowers are great for drying and preserving. I've been frustrated waiting for veggies to harvest as you all know, most of my perennial flowers weren't in bloom, so my sweet husband said I could add a couple of new plants for the garden. We're leaving tomorrow for an exciting 2-day road trip adventure to Eagle, Idaho to visit family! I'll be taking a blogging break since we'll be away for a week.

I'm very much concern about my little garden, but I'm relying on the new Raindrip irrigation system with automatic timer my father-in-law kindly gave me to water the raised beds. I'm soaking container plants in large plastic buckets with water, that worked in the past when we left for 3 days. I appreciate Gina's advice (Antique ART Garden), a blogger friend who told me about soaking! Upside down water-filled bottles with tiny holes in the bottom also helps irrigate the roots of my plants. I pray everything will be fine and perhaps there will be pleasant surprises when we return!      

Ptilotus exaltatus (Joey), perennial native from Australia. I took it home because it was different. The blooms are soft to touch like feather and it can take full sun.       

Salvia was a gift from my nice neighbor, I planted a few in the ground and they're blooming again. The Bees can't resist them and I don't mind!

My very first organic roma tomato grown from seed. Thanks for the packet of seeds from Seeds of Change for the beautiful fruit. Finally, ripen tomato and some are beginning to turn orange on the vine! This was accidentally picked because when I touched the Tomato it fell off, still small but the flavor can't compare from store bought!

I sliced to taste my tomato, the result was perfectly juicy. I'm ecstatic to see more fruit turn red, even the cherry tomatoes are showing signs of ripening. Tomatillo I also planted have tons of flowers but no tomatillo yet, However, many bees are eagerly pollinating the blossoms.

Surprise, we have something new! Zucchini are blooming and I can't wait for hubby (BBQ expert) to grill them. Just when we're leaving for vacation, veggies decided to grow. 

Beautiful bright zucchini flower. I have another plant here in a container but no zucchini yet, we'll see ...

My basil are doing fantastic! This container has red rubin, cinnamon and Thai basil. The scent is lovely and herbs are decorative in the garden. 

I harvested a variety of organic lettuce, cilantro, parsley, oregano, and jalapeno from my garden for a Southwest-inspired dinner. The fresh peppers are for making Mexican cornbread.   
•Recipes•

Healthy corn, black beans, and mixed greens salad served with homemade cilantro-ranch dressing. We enjoyed the salad with grilled margarita lime chicken and cornbread. My salad recipe is fast and easy. You can prepare the dressing a night before if you want plus the flavors combine better overnight!  

Salad Recipe: Toss together mixed green leaf lettuce, 1 Grilled corn (or 1 cup frozen and thawed sweet corn kernels), 1/2 of 15 oz can of organic black beans, about 1/3 cup sliced green onions, 1/3 cup chopped cilantro, chopped roma tomato, 1 tbsp fresh oregano, 1 tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley, 1/4 cup shredded Mexican or cheddar cheese, Mrs. Dash® Southwest Chipotle salt-free seasoning, sea salt to taste, garnish with tortilla strips for that added crunch!  

Cilantro-ranch dressing recipe: I found different kinds of recipes online but I altered mine to make the dressing quick and ready to serve when you're short on time. Combine 1 1/2 cups Newman's Own® Natural Ranch Dressing, 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, 1-2 tsp dried cilantro for extra flavor, 2 cloves fresh chopped garlic, 1/4 cup of can salsa verde, 1/2 of lime juice, 1/4 tbsp onion powder, 1/4 tbsp fresh ground black pepper, and sea salt to taste. Blend together well in a bowl or dressing bottle and serve with salad. Enjoy! 

Thank you for visiting, I'll do my best to respond when I can if you leave a comment. I'll be back soon, have a great week to all! :)           




10 comments:

  1. You are such an amazing young woman, a gardener and expert cook...your husband is one lucky guy !! have fun on your trip, Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely harvest you have! It must be great harvesting your own grown veggies! Looks like there will be more to harvest when you get back. Be sure to take lots of photos, it is always a pleasure to see treasures from your garden! Have a good trip, have fun and enjoy. See you when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful flowers and yummy vegetables! Hope you have an enjoyable trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Priscilla I hope you and your dearest have a lovely trip away. I sometimes use the same method that Gina suggested to you. I also move my containers into a shady part of the garden.

    Lovely recipes there for that little harvest, hopefully when you get home there will be lots more to harvest.

    Take care
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa Priscilla you have Joey too. I fell in love with it at the nursery and even more so now. He's not so soft and feathery as he gets older though - bumped him with my nose seeing if he had a smell. NOT!
    Love your flowers and vegies - they all look great.
    Have a great time getting away and visiting with family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is indeed difficult to leave behind a beautiful garden when you are going on a trip. I wish you a pleasant journey and nice trip so that you come back refreshed and revitalised. Do have a a great time with your family and loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I hope that everything lasted while you were away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for the wonderful comments. We just got back from a 3 day drive. So many photos of beautiful Idaho and other places. My garden still looks good, more harvest surprise and photos to post! I'll be back blogging soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Priscilla! Wow you have such an amazing garden... How can you maintain such a beautiful garden despite being busy with lots of staff especially with your family? Are your plants organically grown?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a green thumb that is so wonderful. That is a gift that you have to take advantage with. I am so jealous o you. I wish to have such a beautiful garden.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by. I love reading your comments and thank you for taking the time. Have a wonderful day! :-)

♥ Priscilla