"Every house where love abides and friendship is a guest, is surely home, and home sweet home for there the heart can rest." -Henry Van Dyke

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Tomatoes Harvest: My roasted salsa recipe

Organic roma tomatoes and jalapenos from my little garden

I read in other blogs that most people have been harvesting the last of their tomatoes. I still have tons in the garden but they ripen so slowly, it's pathetic! Although we're located in high altitude at 6,000 feet, at least we live in California where it can stay warm until November. One thing I'm happy about was being able to grow these tomatoes and jalapenos from seed when I wasn't even sure I did everything right. As a beginner in vegetable gardening, the experience  has taught me to be more patient and to make room in order to plant more veggies next season!      

Making roasted salsa 

I love Mexican food and my salsa recipe here is one of my favorites! To give salsa that smoky flavor, be sure to char the tomatoes very well along with garlic, onions, and peppers. On a gas stove, char the vegetables all around over an open flame. On electric stove like mine, heat the pan over high heat turning the vegetables often.  

♥ Roasted salsa recipe 
  
Ingredients: 
(Makes about 2 cups of salsa)
  • 6-8 roma tomatoes   
  • 1-2 small jalapenos or serrano (depending how hot you prefer) 
  • 1 Medium yellow onion, sliced 
  • 1-2 garlic cloves
  • 3/4 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
  • 1 tsp fresh lime juice (we don't like sour salsa!)
  • Dash of cumin powder and sea salt to taste 
Directions: Char the tomatoes, jalapenos, onion, and garlic cloves together in a pan over high heat or open flame. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Place all ingredients with chopped cilantro and lime juice in a food processor or blender. Try not to over blend. Add cumin powder and sea salt to taste.    


Enjoy the salsa with tortilla chips! Let me know if you tried my recipe and have a wonderful Sunday and Happy Labor Day! 

11 comments:

  1. Priscilla,
    I love your recipe and I can't wait to try it. I am with you on planting more veggies next year. I am hoping to plant double on almost everything that I planted this year. Hopefully next year we will have the mounds of vegetables that we've been seeing on other blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your salsa looks delicious! Your tomatoes are really beautiful! Will have to try out your salsa recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your tomatoes. I could have eaten them raw. Great that you still have lots of tomatoes not ripen yet, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimmi: Thanks, let me know how the salsa turned out! I know we have to plant more enough to feed everyone. I should've planted more Beans and Zucchini, well next season!

    Joyce: Thank you for the comment, hope you enjoy!

    One: Thank you for visiting! How are your Tomatoes doing? Yes I still have green ones that are slowly but surely turning orange but I have a few red Tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful harvest and definitely an interesting recipe to match...~BANGCHIK

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to keep your salsa recipe and hopefully I am going to get more tomatoes before the season is over and I will try it. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usually make salsa from all raw ingredients, but this sounds like a nice diversion.....so I have copied the recipe, to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm, your salsa sounds yummy! If I ever get enough tomatoes this year to make some salsa, I'll try it. It's been a bad tomato harvest for me. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that looks really, really good - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your tomatoes are red, juicy and they look so healthy. The recipe is yummy. Salsa and tortilla is a great combination ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dem's YUMMY! LOVE YOU BABE!!!!♥

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by. I love reading your comments and thank you for taking the time. Have a wonderful day! :-)

♥ Priscilla