"Every house where love abides and friendship is a guest, is surely home, and home sweet home for there the heart can rest." -Henry Van Dyke

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sweet things to share

Gardening season is over for most of us. Soon my little garden will be covered in a blanket of glistening snow, everything will sleep for awhile and start anew in the Spring. I'm in the kitchen baking more as the holidays draw near. Last week we bought Fuji and Gala apples from the farmer's market.    

Look what happened to the beautiful apples. Here my pies came out fresh from the oven. My father in-law stayed with us for 2 nights to help my husband build a wood shed for firewood. I made sure dad ate well. I also baked pumpkin maple pies and shared all the sweet treats with our neighbors. Everyone's tummies were happy and that made me smile!    

I'm thankful to God for the gift of family. My awesome and generous father in-law drove 2 hours to get here. He took care of all the materials for the woodshed. No more wet wood for the fireplace so we're going to stay warm all winter long. 

The new woodshed in the back porch. Bryan is gathering tons of logs and kindling for the fireplace. Our cabin will be cozy and toasty.  

The other day our thoughtful neighbor surprised us with Gladiolus, my heart was delighted. The delicate beauty of these flowers instantly brightened up the room. 

Fun Saturday evening tradition with my husband: Pizza, wine, and a movie. I look forward to this date at home all the time as we get cozy on the couch with simple but great food. It's utterly sweet to spend quality time with the one you love!  ♥



10 comments:

  1. Great looking apple pies! It is really nice and caring of your FIL to help your hubby with the woodshed. And I bet he is happy with the 'rewards', at least his tummy is! I would too! What a lovely Saturday evening tradition, so romantic! I'm green with envy! Could you babysit my two kids on Sundays evenings? He! He!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the sweet comments Joyce! My father in-law was happy with dinner and dessert. Everyone enjoyed everything, I'm so glad. I love our Saturday pizza/movie night, it's simple but exciting. If I lived closer to you, I'd babysit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Priscilla, in answer to your question on my post Red Bean Loaf, the breadmachine does the kneading and baking, all in one, so it is really great if you want fresh bread in the morning, since it comes with a delay-time setting function. But it is not suitable to use this setting if your bread contains raw eggs or fresh milk!
    I always use the breadmachine to do the kneading for me, mainly because I'm lazy and there will be less mess too, and also the machine is better at kneading than my two hands! After the kneading process, I would usually take the dough out, do the next step, like shaping and rising, then bake it in the regular oven, like I did with the Red Bean Loaf.
    Sometimes, I use the breadmachine from start to end, that is from kneading to the baking. I love my breadmachine! Cannot imagine my kitchen without it! LOL!
    Thanks for the babysit 'agreement'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The maple pumpkin pie sounds delish! My husband is usually the pie maker in our family. He has more patience with pie crust. It is about the only thing he can cook/ bake. :)

    You will be glad you have that woodshed when it starts getting cold there. Hooray for those manly men!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Priscilla. What a pretty and yummy looking pie. It is always great to have a father-in-law who is handy with a hammer. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, the pies look great as does your wood shed. I usually get Chinese food on a Friday night to start the weekend... Chinese takeaways are extremely popular in Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found your blog on another and I've been going back reading your posts...enjoyed my visit so much and I will be back! Come visit me in Arkansas...

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH I am so envious of your woodshed just next to the door! You have to brave cold, dark weather to get to ours. Your pies look absolutely scrumptious :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely positive, heartwarming post! All that goodwill and yummy looking food has left me with a big smile!

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by. I love reading your comments and thank you for taking the time. Have a wonderful day! :-)

♥ Priscilla