"Every house where love abides and friendship is a guest, is surely home, and home sweet home for there the heart can rest." -Henry Van Dyke

Thursday, February 10, 2011

One year of wedded bliss and gardening fever

My garden when it was covered in snow.

Forgive me for my inconsistent posts but since I started a new job at our local newspaper, I've been working long hours. On my days off, I catch up on my sleep, (hubby and I are night owls) run errands, do housework, cook, spend time with my man, take care of our cat and the list goes on ... I'm certain you can relate to a hectic schedule. I read all your wonderful comments from my previous entry and I appreciate you following my blog faithfully. My latest news, I ordered vegetable seeds online and purchased more from the garden center. Most of you know I live in a place with a short-growing season, and thus I'd like to get an early start. I'm ecstatic about planning and rebuilding my garden and buying plants in the spring. Although the raised beds are currently a huge mess, (actually the entire garden) I'm delightfully anticipating gardening again. I'm almost ready to plant the veggie seeds in containers indoor. Hurry up spring!

My husband Bryan and I celebrated our one year wedding anniversary on Feb. 4 and we spent a couple of days at the beach near the harbor in Oceanside. Our kind friend owns a timeshare and we received a great deal for the resort. We had an amazing time. Moreover, we cheerfully overloaded ourselves with seafood and went into a food coma. I love the ocean and fresh salty air, listening to the crashing waves and watching seagulls soar above the water. The warmth of the sun on my skin and the soft sand on my toes makes me feel alive. We were rejuvenated to getaway from the chilly mountains and be near the shore.

Our cozy room had a full size-kitchen and living room with a fireplace. My sweet husband took care of the resort. Thank you baby!  

View from the balcony. The beach was 5 minutes walking distance. 

Scrumptious pot of crabs, shrimp, lobster claws, potatoes and corn that we shared for dinner.  

I requested organic seeds for my garden, (anniversary present) so on our way to the resort, dear hubby dropped me off at the local nursery. He despises shopping and I didn't want to make him suffer while I enthusiastically look at packets of seeds. I had a list of veggies I plan to grow. Bryan picked me up from the store and when I opened the car door, he surprised me with a bouquet of red roses on my seat. 
 
 
A dozen of stunning roses from my Prince, literally. 

Heartfelt anniversary card I treasure. He also gave me a Starbucks Coffee gift card (my favorite) and treated me for spa manicure and pedicure, ahhhh what a perfect weekend!

One year with the love of my life, he's a gift from the Lord. I'm grateful for God's faithfulness, grace and countless blessings. 

My collection of garden seeds from last spring that I need to organize someday. How many of you out there organize your packets of seeds? By the way, I'll be having another seeds giveaway contest for veggies and flowers soon. Stay tuned fellow gardeners and have a fantastic week!      
                      

13 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing.Congratualtions on your year anniversary!I have always wanted to have my own garden, who knows maybe this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your anniversary. It sounds like you had a lovely time and that your DH showered you with love in different ways. That's wonderful.

    Have fun planning your garden for this year and enjoy each and every day with your DH.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very romantic, very thoughtful husband. You are blessed much. Congratulations !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Priscilla! I wish you many, many ,many more happy years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats!!! I don't grow much from seeds since I don't have the equipment to start it indoors and have had early summer storms wipe out my seedlings. But I do grow zinnias from seed every year. Basil is also super easy to grow. My method of organization is to just stuff the seed packs in a pocket of my garden tote. Nothing fancy here! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bridget: Thanks for the congrats. It's fun having a garden and once you start, you might get addicted!

    Flowerlady: Thank you for stopping by. We had a romantic time and I want to be at the beach again. I'm thrilled to start my garden too!

    Gina: God is good! I'm happy to see you here. Have an awesome week! :)

    Rosey: Thank you, I appreciate the comment. I'm also glad you are looking forward to planting the seeds you received from my last giveaway!

    Casa Mariposa: Thanks so much for visiting my blog. All you really need for starting seeds are: Decent fluorescent lights, a table, good quality seed starting potting soil and small pots. If you don't have much room like me, it can be frustrating. I need a bigger grow-light and table to set up all my seedlings. I tend to plant more and impulsive with planting everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings from Southern California, USA

    I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to :-)

    God Bless You, ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ron, thank you for stopping by. I'll visit your blog soon. God bless you too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Priscilla,
    Happy Anniversary to you and Bryan. That's a beautiful resort for a romantic getaway! And what a lovely bouquest of roses, your hubby is so sweet (and romantic too!)
    Your garden is full of snow! I know that you can't wait to get your hands dirty with garden soil! You have bought a lot of seeds. I'm actually looking forward to see your new garden!
    Thanks for stopping by my kitchen! Yes, work can get very demanding, that I can understand. Luckily for me, I'm a full time homemaker now, after more than 20 years of working in an office! The only drawback is, I can't shop as much as I want to! (which I seldom do, actually!), but you know what I meant!
    Have fun sowing your seeds indoors. Hope that spring decided to "spring up" early this year! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your anniversary. The food looked fab, I love seafood. You have alot of seeds. I was organising mine the other day and decidng when i was going to sow starting this weekend (some herbs & peppers indoors) and deciding on others for the coming weeks & months. Congrats on your job too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds wonderful Priscilla! I love seafood-induced food comas. Nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely anniversary - and you both look wonderfully happy in your picture. Wishing you many more years like this to come.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Belated Happy Anniversary! Seafood and seed loot just make it all the more perfect to foodie gardeners. So glad to have come across your blog.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by. I love reading your comments and thank you for taking the time. Have a wonderful day! :-)

♥ Priscilla