"Every house where love abides and friendship is a guest, is surely home, and home sweet home for there the heart can rest." -Henry Van Dyke

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Welcome spring

The weather is beginning to warm up in the mountains and it makes me cheerful. Please, no more snow! Last year was an exception when it snowed in the morning in the middle of May. My husband and I were at church, it was a cold day and we were astonished to see snow through the window.  

It was about 80F degrees the other day, I went outside to play. I have tons of things to do in the garden: cleaning, organizing, planting, etc. I'm going to be busy but I love it. I finally got around to sowing organic carrots, peas, spinach and Swiss chard from seeds too. 

My perennials haven't bloomed yet. I needed to see color so I bought a couple of plants for the front patio where we get partial sun and shade. Dear hubby built a window box for me. I transplanted two ivy and a trailing plant (I can't remember the name) that I already had into the window box. The new addition were coral bells and English primrose.
     
I planted Asian greens in a 10-1/2-inch galvanized container. I hope they grow so we'll have healthy stir-fry meals, yummy!

Perfect for small-space gardening.

I fell in love with this Oriental lily at the garden center. I have to get a new container to transplant it soon – another reason for me to go back!  

I couldn't resist – something new for my garden is Persian buttercup (Ranunculus asiaticus). I'm planting more annuals this year. 

I recently received this carrot grow bag from Gardener's Supply Company in the mail. My kitty, Lilo, always get excited when I get something new. 

A cat grow bag? She's super cute and spoiled! 

What's happening in your garden? Happy spring! 

9 comments:

  1. At the end of winter, every gardener needs to see color! I love that purple Ranuncula! Your cat is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun, fun stuff here! I can't recall ever seeing a Ranunculus that color. I have to replant them every year here, they are cheap and so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,

    Spring has finally arrived. Love your pics and am looking forward to seeing everything grow in your garden. Have a great week...Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad the weather has warmed up for you. I love Ranunculus too but they don't last here, yours looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The spring is definately there in your garden! Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I planted the same Renees Garden Asian green last year and seed saved from them for this year. Last night I ate the first of the new crop. Okay - a handful of two inch long leaves! Love your container for them

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Spring! I can see that you are so happy that Spring's here! Your new plants are beautiful. The Oriental Lily is gorgeous! I have not seen a carrot grow bag before, sounds really interesting. I hope that you will keep us posted on this! Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pricilla, happy spring gardening to you! I am excited to hear how the Asian greens are doing for you. I love that you planted them in the beautiful galvanized container. The ranunculus has an amazing color, just love it!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Priscilla, I am so happy that Spring is finally here for you! This has been one long winter and I know much longer for you than for us. Looking forward to seeing your veggie garden sprouts!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by. I love reading your comments and thank you for taking the time. Have a wonderful day! :-)

♥ Priscilla