"Every house where love abides and friendship is a guest, is surely home, and home sweet home for there the heart can rest." -Henry Van Dyke

Friday, July 8, 2011

Gardening for sentimental reasons

My miniature roses are in bloom again. I have no experience with roses so I started with this size in a container. Someday I'd like to plant more roses, I'm fond of the climbing variety since that reminds me of cottage gardens.
    
"In my garden there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The thoughts grow as freely as the flowers, and the dreams are as beautiful." ~Abram L. Urban

Yellow rose that belongs in the property we're renting. I'm delighted by the roses and I get to view them everyday from our dining room.

Trailing phlox recently bloomed. Last year, butterflies were highly attracted to these flowers.

Mexican primrose just showed up. Dainty and pretty in pink. 

My leaf lettuce (slugs attacked in early June) are growing and looking healthier. It's called 'flame lettuce' from Seed Savers Exchange. It's the first time I tried this variety. Delicious, I will grow them again.

Lettuce romaine Rouge D' Hiver is another new one. The heirloom seeds were from Botanical Interests. I love their spinach and Swiss chard too.

Wonderful and tender spinach. I will plant more next time.

Swiss chard 'Five Color Silverbeet' are getting bigger. Excellent when pan-fried with onions, butter and Parmesan cheese. 

I'm anticipating more harvest, hopeful and waiting for surprises. What are you waiting for in your beautiful garden?   

"I grow plants for many reasons: to please my eye or to please my soul, to challenge the elements or to challenge my patience, for novelty or for nostalgia, but mostly for the joy in seeing them grow." ~David Hobson

8 comments:

  1. Hi Priscilla. Your miniature rose is so lovely. I had one but I managed to kill it somehow. LOL! I am still puzzled about that one. I really like your Trailing phlox too. Pretty markings in the petals. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love climbing roses, too. I was thinking the other day I needed more of this type. Your minis look great. And your flame lettuce looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your plants are looking healthy. The roses are fab. Mine get black spot and aphids but the blooms make them worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your plants are pretty and look healthy. The spinach makes me want to try that in my Fall garden here in Florida. Happy gardening, Egretta

    ReplyDelete
  5. pretty roses! The lettuce looks so healthy! Happy enjoying your plants!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your plants look very healthy! Something that I have had good luck with are my roses. I actually put used coffee grounds on the ground, just to add a little acidity. They seem to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really i appreciate the effort you made to share the knowledge.The topic here i found was really effective to the topic which i was researching for a long time
    coloration photo

    ReplyDelete
  8. The mini roses are my favorite. The website looks so welcoming and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by. I love reading your comments and thank you for taking the time. Have a wonderful day! :-)

♥ Priscilla