"Every house where love abides and friendship is a guest, is surely home, and home sweet home for there the heart can rest." -Henry Van Dyke

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Gardening quick fix indoors: Healthy sprouts part 2

In my last post, I shared about my new adventure of growing sprouts indoors in a cracker jar. Sprouts are incredibly healthy, they're loaded with vitamins and minerals. The best part, they're so easy to grow and you can have them on the dining table in a week! Sprouts in a container keep well in the fridge for several weeks. The organic radish China rose (photo above) are pretty and the flavor was a bit spicy. We enjoyed these sprouts with sandwiches for that added crunch and spice. They're also an excellent topping for stir-fry veggies.    

Broccoli sprouts are very nutritious. According to research they contain 50 times more sulfurophane (antioxidant to prevent cancer) than a mature broccoli. You only need 1 ounce of broccoli sprouts compared to 3 pounds of fully grown broccoli. I made omelet with broccoli sprouts, green onions, parsley, oregano and cheddar cheese. I also sprinkled raw sprouts on top. We ate a delicious breakfast and my husband loved it.

I didn't think sprouts would be yummy with a protein shake but I was mistaken. It tasted great. In our Vitamix®, I blended chocolate almond milk, bananas, coconut milk, brown rice protein powder, organic flax seeds and a small amount of mild sprouts for a snack after my workout. 

We'll be trying other sprouts to add variety to our meals and I'll share my reviews in the future.   

To read about growing sprouts, check out my previous post healthy sprouts part 1

Tell me about it if you try growing them. I know you'll have fun! 

8 comments:

  1. Great, growing your own sprouts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't knew they you can grow them indoor so easily, I'm also going to try it out! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. They're easy to grow. Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. Very informative. I shall try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, love your sprouts! Sprouts in protein shake sounds so healthy and delicious! I need to get started on the sprouts!! Thanks for sharing, looking forward to more of your sprouts posts! Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyce. Let me know how it turns out. Have a great day!

      Delete
  5. Sprouts are so good in salads, but I do put them in smoothies also. I think the alfalfa sprouts taste like fresh peas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love sprouts in salads for texture and taste. Nice to know you put them in smoothies too since sprouts are so healthy.

      Delete

I'm glad you stopped by. I love reading your comments and thank you for taking the time. Have a wonderful day! :-)

♥ Priscilla