"Every house where love abides and friendship is a guest, is surely home, and home sweet home for there the heart can rest." -Henry Van Dyke

Sunday, July 15, 2012

My July garden and happy news

Here's my Nelly Moser clematis, she's finally in bloom. I apologize for my inconsistent writing, crazy busy here at the new house since we're still trying to settle. My garden is not doing amazing and the vegetables are barely making it in this scorching weather… 100 degrees almost everyday. I haven't been able to tend or water the plants because I was working more hours for Kellogg Garden Products. I came home exhausted, moving and housework kept me pretty occupied. Now that the seasonal job has been over for two weeks, I can pay more attention to my garden and oh I've been in nesting mode… 

What else is happening? I'm 19 weeks pregnant with our first baby. I'm thrilled we're going to find out if we're having a boy or a girl next week! Stay tuned for the update.     

The David Austin English climbing rose was a birthday present from my wonderful mom-in-law and it was bare root when I purchased it in April. A deep purple clematis was planted next to it to intertwine on the trellis but for whatever reason the clematis didn't survive.
   
Daylily, another favorite perennial addition and a new color in my garden. They're very reliable with blooms that last all summer.  

Agastache are doing well in the flower bed and getting very tall. They definitely add to the cottage look I'm trying to achieve.
   
In the veggie garden, lettuce that were started from seeds are growing great. The other night for dinner, we had grilled chicken and salad with homemade shallots, cider vinegar and walnut oil dressing. I lost quite a bit of squash, all the hot peppers, basil, watermelon and cantaloupe. Transplant shock, lack of water and time was the culprit. Tomatoes are somewhat doing alright but just recently after applying organic fertilizer. Some of the fruits are turning orange so I take that as a good sign. Kale is growing nicely and I'm waiting for my surviving squash, cucumber, beans, potatoes, bell peppers and eggplant to take off. 

My husband took a photo of the sky yesterday right before the evening rain. Idaho is beautiful and it's a scenic place to live. We've been here a little over a year and the quality of life is definitely better. What do you enjoy about your home and what's happening with your garden this year?     

8 comments:

  1. Very big congrats on your big nesw! Be careful with the heat and too much exertion when you are preggie. Be more gentle with yourself, take good care! Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gina thank you for stopping by and for the congrats! I can't be outside in the heat because I get migraines. So far easy pregnancy, praise God. I never experienced morning sickness. I also eat a lot!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your new "flower" growing in a safe and cozy garden!!! What wonderful news! And your other flowers are beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your new addition to the family. Take care and have an enjoyable pregnancy. The anticipation is rather exciting. Its like cherishing a bud and seeing it to bloom. I'm sure you have healthy meals from your own organic garden. The one shown is examplary enough.

    The David Austin English rose has such sweet delicate colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carla: Thanks I'm excited to be a mom!
    Stiletto: I appreciate the congrats and yup I eat healthy, just waiting for more veggies to grow! I love the English rose, it's my first David Austin rose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!
    Beautiful blooms from your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh!!Yeah!! I am so glad for you both. Congratulations on the new teeny one. LOL!
    Your David Austin rose is just so lovely. What a glorious sunset your husband captured. You take good care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the baby! I hope everything goes well for you and the baby.

    Your garden looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by. I love reading your comments and thank you for taking the time. Have a wonderful day! :-)

♥ Priscilla