"Every house where love abides and friendship is a guest, is surely home, and home sweet home for there the heart can rest." -Henry Van Dyke

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Hot summer harvest and we're having a ______!

Currently, there's not much going on in my garden and the harvest is smaller compared to last year. From what I heard, the heatwave everywhere seems to be affecting many gardens. I neglected the garden for a few months when I was busy with a temporary position working for Kellogg organic soil as a sales representative. In addition, being pregnant in the 1st trimester had me extremely fatigue to do anything. I hardly ever water and surprisingly, I'm thankful we harvested a decent amount of edibles. Definitely worth the wait.

Beans were bountiful this time and I love cooking them with a little butter and olive oil soon after picking. Nothing compares to homegrown flavorful veggies. Although I lost all of the zucchini, cantaloupe, watermelon, peppers and most of my strawberries in the beginning of the garden season, I'm pleased with what we have now. There's always next year for more surprises.   

We had plenty of kale and they're yummy sautéed with olive oil, garlic, Parmesan cheese and lemon.

 
New variety of heirloom sunflower in my garden called Evening Sun. I'm also waiting for the Russian Mammoth to bloom which grew to about 8 feet tall last year.

 Stunning sunflower, I'll definitely plant more again in the future.   

Lavender I started from seeds two years ago. They're doing great in the raised bed…

From my previous post, I mentioned I'd update you. We're having our first baby girl! Here, she's about to suck her thumb. Awww those cute little fingers and toes. I'm 26 weeks preggers and almost in the 3rd trimester… hubby and I are thrilled to meet the baby in December. I'm looking forward to becoming a mom and we're incredibly blessed.    


7 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you and your husband,Priscilla!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found you site, and what a happy site it is! Congratulations on your sweet girl! Honestly, I don't know how you did much in the garden during your first trimester--it's exhausting! Your garden looks lovely, but you're right--the heat was so intense that I found our harvest was much smaller this year, and we lost all of our tomato vines earlier. Now, we're trying to clean up the remnants of the summer garden to make way for fall crops. Look forward to visiting again soon to hear about your garden--and your little Sweet Pea, too! :-) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie for the congrats and kind comments! It was exhausting in the first trimester and we were also moving at the time I was working. I don't know how the veggies survived. I'm thankful they did. Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  3. I love the heirloom sunflower...gorgeous. And I know your new baby girl will be, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for the compliments. I love sunflowers of every color!

      Delete
  4. Hi Priscilla,
    Your kale is looking good! And little baby is sure having a relaxing time! :)
    Take care and have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by. I love reading your comments and thank you for taking the time. Have a wonderful day! :-)

♥ Priscilla