"Every house where love abides and friendship is a guest, is surely home, and home sweet home for there the heart can rest." -Henry Van Dyke

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Healing with gardening

I'd love to say there are flowers blooming all over my garden but nothing much is happening here. Since we moved many times I lost a multitude of plants along the way, it's time to start over again. I wanted something to cheer me up so I brought home this new addition, viola. Her tender beauty and dainty petals makes me smile.
              
It has been difficult for me to do anything due to being ill. Last week, my family took me to the urgent care. The itchy rash on my left arm, chest and back became worst with excruciating blisters. We thought it was poison ivy but the diagnosis turned out to be shingles. If anyone ever had chickenpox, the virus lies dormant in the spine and can be reactivated as shingles. The horrible nerve pain put me in bed rest and brought me to tears.

My loving husband took care of everything while I rested. I appreciate those who prayed for me. Although I'm exhausted with sporadic pain, I'm on my way to recovering. I'm feeling better each day. I'm learning to be still and take the moment to breathe.    

Something about gardening brings healing––it's therapy to my soul. When I'm outside surrounded by nature, I hear the peaceful melody of birds nearby. This is the time to pray. I know God is everywhere but He always meets me in my garden. 
  
Update on our vegetable seedlings: mixed lettuce are growing nicely in the container. I also have another lettuce bed which we're waiting to enjoy.    

I planted tomatoes from seeds too early and they grew very fast like weeds. I transplanted 20 of them in these larger containers. Tomatoes were falling over so we tied the stems to skewers for support. Some were leggy and they will need to be planted deeply in the raised bed. 

This tomatillo is looking healthy. We have no room inside under the grow lights for all the tomatoes. Bryan helps me bring them outside the patio for daylight but they go back in the house in the evening. They're not safe out there until the middle of May. It's crazy, I still have about 20 more tomatoes to transplant! I'm planning on canning, freezing and dehydrating tomatoes.
       
Shelling peas are doing great. I planted more than last year because fresh, tender peas are the best.

First time I'm growing snow peas. I'm excited about cooking tasty stir-fry vegetables soon. 

Gardening is rewarding… there are plenty of lessons to learn and I remain a hopeful gardener. 

"God almighty first planted a garden: and, indeed, it is the purest of human pleasure." - Francis Bacon

10 comments:

  1. Hi Priscilla!

    Yes, I can see your update in the reading list :) Oh seems like you will have a lot of vegetables in your garden very soon.


    I can't wait to see the lil red tomatillo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi back :) Thank you for letting me know! I can't wait for the veggie harvests.

      Delete
  2. Hope you are feeling better soon, Priscilla.
    Those flowers are really beautiful..but what I love the most is those healthy snow peas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie. I'm looking forward to enjoying the peas!

      Delete
  3. All seedling look so stunning! The peas are really making me so jealous. Mine is really poor. I have never success on growing peas. Your garden is really inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment. Peas need cool weather and they germinate better in cold soil. Sorry you haven't had success. I wish I could grow tropical fruit but we're in Idaho and and I live in a cold climate. I'm glad you're inspired by my garden!

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry to hear about your having to deal with shingles and do pray that you will soon be feeling much better. I believe being out among God's creation is healing too. I talk to Him all the time, but out in my gardens there is so much to enjoy that I just feel enveloped in His love.

    Your veggies look great and from all that you have growing, you'll have lots to harvest.

    Thank you for visiting my blog and your kind comment. I am sorry for the loss of your first husband, but happy to hear you have found love again and have a precious little one too. It's been 16 months for me and we were married 43 years. I miss him daily but am looking forward to seeing him again and being with Jesus forever.

    Enjoy the rest of your week and be well ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting. You have such a beautiful garden. God's creations certainly is healing, being in the garden is an opportunity to spend time with Him and give our praises. You had a wonderful marriage and that's inspiring, he'll always be in your heart. Have a great week!

      Delete
  5. Hi Priscilla,
    Sorry to hear about the shingles. I know how really painful they can be. My dad, father-in-law and a friend had shingles before, and I can see that it is really painful. It is good that you are on the road to recovery.
    Your tomatoes seedlings are doing fine, and love your peas are looking great.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving a comment. I appreciate your thoughtfulness. The shingles is healing and I'm so glad!

      Delete

I'm glad you stopped by. I love reading your comments and thank you for taking the time. Have a wonderful day! :-)

♥ Priscilla