"Every house where love abides and friendship is a guest, is surely home, and home sweet home for there the heart can rest." -Henry Van Dyke

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

I'm back with a new blog!

I apologize for my absence and inconsistent posts, I've been gone for months but I'm finally back. I had a baby and life got super busy! This page is more organized with a new banner. I have a new URL homegrowndelight.blogspot.com so please update it on your blog list. The name has changed to reflect my love for homemaking and growing stuff. I also have a Facebook page to 'like' and I appreciate your support :) My desire for gardening is very much alive as you can see with my garden seeds obsession. I'll organize them someday, every year I add to my collection AND it's time to purge.

  
We also moved, again. I moved my garden for the third time in the last 3 years but we bought our first little home in November. The house came with this 2.5 x 24 feet raised bed that our outdoor kitty became fond of because she turned it into a huge litter box. I spent 2 hours digging and shoveled out around 3" of dirt to get rid of feces and to prepare the bed for compost. I pulled out weeds and dead plants the previous owners left. My husband bought the ScareCrow®, a motion-activated sprinkler that sprays water when cats or unwanted pests get close to the garden. NO feline poopie near our food!
    
The vegetable garden will be huge this year and I'm praying for a bountiful harvest. The backyard is not that spacious but I have plans on making everything fit. My husband built more raised beds so I can grow a large variety of edibles and flowers. The goal is to preserve our harvests because I'm fed up by the escalating prices of organic vegetables. It's outrageous how expensive healthy food is and I'm compelled to reduce the grocery bill. It's better to plant from organic seeds since you get more, you know what's in your food, there are better variety and it's economical. 

 
My grow light setup is in the master bedroom. Hubby is complaining our room looks like a jungle and smells like manure. Most of the tomatoes are doing fantastic although they started out leggy. I told him to think about future tomato sauce, salsa, ketchup, etc. his tummy will be happy once I start cooking with fresh ingredients.

Okra, peppers, eggplant, tomatillos, cabbage, broccoli, kale and basil seedlings are looking well. Outside there are peas, lettuce and spinach growing nicely. I'm dreaming about creating a beautiful cottage-style kitchen garden surrounded by veggies, herbs and flowers… our own potager. We have a sketch of the plan. Stay tuned as we transform the backyard.         

Peppers are healthy. I planted jalapeƱos, Anaheim, serrano, ancho and cayenne. I want to make chili sauce and dehydrate peppers for chili powder. Of course we'll need them for salsa too.

Now for cute baby pics! This is my daughter when she turned 15 months. Alyssa is 16 months now, time is going way too fast. I'm a happy mom because she's still a good sleeper, sleeping through the night between 12-14 hours a day. She takes a nap in the afternoon between 1-3 hours. She's also not picky with food and she eats her veggies… hopefully it stays that way. Alyssa is a perfect baby for us and she keeps me very occupied.

Someone loves her toes. I guess they're tasty, we love munching on them too. All we have to say is "must you eat your toes?" and she automatically puts her toes in her mouth then she gives us a smile. Silly baby! :) Oh how she brings joy to my life and I look forward to having her in the garden with me. 

22 comments:

  1. Hi Priscilla!

    I read your comment and thank you for dropping by too. No wonder! I couldn't found your blog before you let me know but now I can continue to read it again. Yeay! Btw, what makes you changed your blog name?

    Most of the foods that I updated in the blog are Asian food. I am Malay and I live in Malaysia and please excuse my broken English :) I am not so good in English btw. LOL.

    I love to 'blogwalking' at you blog because you shared a lot of gardening tips and I love to see that lil girl who has the grey eyes :) She's so adorable and you're so lucky to have her as part of your life.

    Nice to meet you and have a good day!



    Honey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment. I changed the name because I want to blog about home and gardening, not just exclusively gardening. I'm also the DIY type so I can write about my projects. I'm planning to design a cottage-style garden, more like a potager where I can grow vegetables, herbs and flowers. It's nice to meet you and thanks for the compliment about my daughter Alyssa, she has daddy's hazel eyes. We feel incredibly blessed to have her. Have a great week! :)

      Delete
  2. Can I write again? LOL

    I just went through what you had wrote above and I think this is one of benefit to be a stay-at-home-mom. Aren't you? You can do what ever you love and like such as DIY, gardening and etc. Oh, I am so envy :)

    Can't wait to see your new project and keep writing yuh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can always write :) I'm a stay-at-home mom but it's not easy all the time. Do you have kids? It's a lot of work and the house is a mess! I'm trying to get organized but it's going slow. We bought a house not too long ago and I'm still organizing. Our backyard is cluttered but we're working on it. There's never enough time in a day! Thank you for stopping by, you can also follow me with Google. Something went wrong when I changed my URL so my followers aren't able to see my posts, I'm trying to figure out the settings. Let me know if you can see my latest post on your Blogger reading list.

      Delete
    2. No, I'm not married yet :) Yuh, so true! When I'm at home on weekend, clock ticking so fast and I just done few house chores only. Sigh. Seems like I don't have enough time to complete all the house chores. Different on weekdays which I think the clock ticking as slow as it could when I'm in the office LOL. And you with a baby, I can imagine how you running the house with limited time. Let me update you after your next entry whether I can see the latest post or no.

      Oh btw, today is Friday here. I am so happy finally weekend is just around the corner and I wish you have a good weekend in advance *wink*

      Bye Priscilla!

      Delete
  3. Hi Priscilla,
    Great to see you again with your gardening! I have been "missing in action" on the gardening blog too, but now am ready to "weather the storm"! Haha!
    You have lots of wonderful seedlings and your garden bed is looking really good. Very soon, in a matter of months, you will be harvesting from it. Looking forward to your plants and the process of your new garden bed.
    Alyssa is adorable! Being a mother is a full-time job, and the most rewarding.
    I was just wondering about you and I'm glad that you have stopped by my blog, as I was just trying to get into your blog just the day before you visited mine, but I have problem getting in. Even now, I am unable to add your url to my blog's side bar, wonder why?
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Priscilla,
    Me again!!! :)
    I have successfully include your blog's url in my side bar. Funny i can't do that earlier on with many tries. I'm glad it is a success this time!
    Looking forward to your gardening posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce! Thank you for the comment and for visiting! :) I appreciate you for letting me know you're able to add my blog to the sidebar. I've had problems since I changed the address and I wasn't seeing my posts on the reading list. I can't figure out how to redirect others from the old blog to the new one, I've tried all the settings! Please let me know if you're able to see my April 8th post and my future ones on your list. Eventually I'll visit everyone's blog to let them know about my new URL. Your garden is looking great. Happy gardening and have a nice weekend!

      Delete
  5. Hi Priscilla, I'm glad to meet this blog. I love your garden and your cats too. So interesting. So I could gollow your garden progress. It must be so exciting. Thanks for sharing.
    Endah, Indonesia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I''m glad you came to visit. I appreciate you following my blog! :)

      Delete
  6. Priscilla, love your new blog! Food from your own garden to the dinner table tastes sweeter and tastier :-) You seriously put the grow light setup in the bed room? wow...your kitties wouldn't touch them?
    Your baby gal looks so adorable!
    Have a wonderful day!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, growing your own food is the best! We have a small home and our bedroom is the only place we have for the grow light. Our cats aren't allowed in the bedroom, I have allergies so I try to minimize dander. Thank you for your compliment about my baby! :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog, Priscilla. I look forward to following your adventures in your new garden. I love your grow light setup, and of course, your sweet little girl. P. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for checking out my blog and for your nice compliment. I look forward to following your garden adventures too! :)

      Delete
  8. You have had quite a lot going on. So glad everything has settled down. Your garden is coming along very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I enjoyed reading your post about making compost! :)

      Delete
  9. You're new blog is looking really good and you have some nice plants growing from seed. (I love seeds too and have about a hundred packs!) Your daughter is gorgeous and maybe she will help you in the garden this summer! All the best for the growing year and hope to see many posts as things develop. Kelli, Northern Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kelli. Collecting garden seeds is an addiction! My daughter is scared of plants and grass at the moment, she thinks they'll poke her. Hopefully she'll get over it as she gets older, ha ha! :)

      Delete
  10. I also have the same kitty problem... no magic sprinkler though. I'd love to see your future garden, I'm certain it'll look gorgeous. And your nursery in the bedroom is charming.
    Btw, in some parts of Malaysia, when a toddler starts munching her toes, it is taken to mean that a little brother or sister is on the way! ;D Have a nice day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me laugh :) But no, there will be no brother or sister on the way. Not yet. Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

      Delete
  11. It was so good to see your comment on my blog! I was wondering where you were and what you were up to. I love the look of your new blog and have updated my blogroll with your new URL. Thanks for the heads up. Alyssa is growing so much and looks absolutely beautiful. How precious she is.

    Your seedlings look healthy, I know you will have a wonderful vegetable garden. Your seed collection looks like mine. I finally organized mine so I could get rid of the seeds that were old, although I did try to sprout some just to make sure. Most were fine but a few packs had to be tossed.

    Looking forward to watching your garden grow in the new place. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you stopped by. Your garden is doing fantastic, I wish we could grow warm-season edibles early but we don't have the California climate! My garden is a work in progress, it doesn't look anything I want it to be. I'm planning on creating a cottage-style kitchen garden. BUT it will cost $ to build/buy a fence, arbor, gate, pathway, etc. so next year we can hopefully get started. I lost many flowers when moving so we have to start over. This year is mostly about vegetables. Looking forward to your new post and photos of your veggie harvests! :)

      Delete

I'm glad you stopped by. I love reading your comments and thank you for taking the time. Have a wonderful day! :-)

♥ Priscilla