"Every house where love abides and friendship is a guest, is surely home, and home sweet home for there the heart can rest." -Henry Van Dyke

Monday, May 26, 2014

Lettuce and spinach from the garden: Quick salmon salad recipe

Lettuce are abundant in my garden, they're thriving. I wish everything else were ready for harvest but gardening requires patience. There's something satisfying about tending a garden, we get to eat fresh and nothing beats the flavor. It's even more rewarding when vegetables are planted from seeds.

There are days I'm clueless on what to make for dinner. When you're busy with a 17 month old daughter, it's great to find ways of being efficient in the kitchen! I prepared my recipe of salmon salad with ranch dressing and it probably took about 20 minutes to put this healthy dish on our table. 

First thing I did was cook the eggs, pick lettuce and spinach from my garden, make the dressing and cook the salmon. Done! The smoked salt added a nice mesquite flavor, tasted like the salmon was cooked on the grill and my little girl enjoyed it too. 

 

Salmon salad with light ranch dressing 

*Lettuce and spinach harvest

Serves 2 

 
For the salad
• A bowl of mixed lettuce and spinach
• 2 portions of salmon (we had frozen salmon available, feel free to use fresh)

• 2 large eggs, hard-boiled
• 1/2 tsp dried
or 1 tsp fresh dill
• 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1 tbsp unsalted butter
• 1 tbsp lemon juice, add more as needed
• Alder smoked salt to taste (Frontier brand, found it at a local natural grocery)
• Black pepper to taste

1. Cook eggs in water gently over medium heat on a pot for about 15 minutes. Remove water and let them cool. Set aside.

2. Meanwhile, wash the lettuce and spinach. Spin dry on the salad bowl. Set aside. 
3. Make salad dressing, mix all ingredients well and thin out with milk to desired consistency. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. 
4. Salmon can be prepared two ways. You can marinate with dill, smoked salt, pepper and lemon juice 30 minutes to an hour and refrigerate. Or if you're in a hurry like me, I did everything on the pan and it was still flavorful. Acid in the lemon helps absorb the ingredients. For the pan method: Add olive oil and butter over medium heat. Fry the salmon until you get a nice sear. Add dill, smoked salt, black pepper and lemon juice on the salmon. Turn over to coat salmon on both sides with ingredients. Remove shell from the eggs then slice them. 
5. Serve salmon over a bed of lettuce and spinach with sliced eggs. Drizzle ranch dressing on top. 

For the ranch dressing

Note: Measurements are estimated in my recipe, adjust spices to taste. Refrigerate 5-7 days.

• 1 cup light mayonnaise
• 1/2 cup sour cream (use reduced fat if you prefer)
• 1/3 cup milk (add more as needed)
• 1 tsp lemon juice
• 1 tsp granulated onion powder (I didn't have chives but you can also use it with onion powder. Optional, add 1/2 tsp fresh chopped chives with onion powder)
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder 

• 1/2 tsp mustard powder  
• 1/2 tsp dill 
• 1/2 tsp dried parsley or 1 tsp fresh chopped Italian parsley
• Dash of paprika
• Sea salt and black pepper to taste

6 comments:

  1. Its so hard at times to plan something different for dinner each night. I'm picking lettuce nearly everyday at the moment, its lovely to be able to nip outside & pick something fresh but like you I'm willing the rest of my veggie plants to catch up. Hope you have a super week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's a challenge. I usually have a menu plan for the week but I haven't been as organized lately, I'm so busy. Glad to know you're enjoying lettuce everyday too. They're doing well here and I also can't wait for summer crops, it's exciting. Have a great week!

      Delete
  2. Hi Priscilla,
    Wow, what a delicious salmon dish. With homegrown lettuce, sounds really, really good to me! Your salad dressing sounds really delicious!
    I wish I have lots of lettuce right now. I'm planning to start on some lettuce planting soon, in the midst of clearing all the unwanted plants first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce, it's always nice to hear from you. Thank you for your comments. I hope your lettuce will be successful. Happy gardening! :)

      Delete
  3. From your own garden to the dinner table...it must have tasted particularly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie. It was delicious and I love growing vegetables!

      Delete

I'm glad you stopped by. I love reading your comments and thank you for taking the time. Have a wonderful day! :-)

♥ Priscilla