"Every house where love abides and friendship is a guest, is surely home, and home sweet home for there the heart can rest." -Henry Van Dyke

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Linguine with spinach, zucchini, caramelized shallots and gruyere sauce

We had this for dinner the other night, it was something I made up since I harvested spinach from my garden. I'm feeling much better from the horrible shingles but I've been having difficulty swallowing for 2 weeks. The first few days was awful when the doctor put me on a bland liquid diet. I'll be getting a test done to find out what's causing my trouble. I won't go into long details but I'm fine if I have soft foods such as pasta, noodles, tofu, eggs and pureed soups. I can only eat small meals throughout the day and I also lost a few pounds. Lately, I've been a vegetarian. We're planning to eat more vegetables in the future anyway but you know, I really miss meat! 

Here's my simple recipe for the pasta… 

 

Linguine with spinach, zucchini, caramelized shallots and gruyere sauce 

*Spinach harvest

Serves 4

• 8 oz organic linguine (I used organic Jerusalem artichoke inulin, soft texture made it  easier on my throat but cook with whatever you want) 

• 1 cup or a handful spinach, chopped 


• 1 medium zucchini, sliced  

• 1 large shallot, sliced thinly 

• 1 clove garlic, minced
• About 1/4 cup Italian flat parsley, coarsely chopped (reserve a little for garnish)
• 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1 tsp unsalted butter
• 1/2 cup gruyere cheese (more if you want it cheesy)
• 1 cup or more Half & Half cream (depends how much sauce you like)
• 1/4 cup reduced fat cream cheese (helps thicken the sauce, add more as needed)
• 1 tsp onion powder
• Salt and pepper to taste

1. Boil pasta in salted water according to package directions. Coat pasta with a little olive oil after draining. Keep warm until sauce is done.  


2. While pasta is cooking, in a sauce pan sautée shallots in olive oil and butter over medium heat until caramelized. Stir occasionally and the shallots will turn a nice golden brown but be careful not to burn. Add garlic and stir for 2 minutes or until fragrant.   

3. Add zucchini and cook until almost soft.
4. Pour Half & Half cream in the same pan and simmer over low to medium heat but don't boil so the sauce won't curdle. Add gruyere cheese and stir frequently until melted. Mix in the cream cheese to desired consistency, use more if you prefer a thicker sauce.
5. Sprinkle parsley in the sauce but reserve some for garnishing. Add onion powder, salt and pepper to taste.

6. About the last 4 minutes of cooking, toss the spinach in and stir. Serve sauce immediately over linguine and garnish with remaining parsley on top. 


Tender, tasty organic spinach (Tyee) I started from seeds in a container. I wanted to grow more but we ran out of room. Next year I'll have a separate raised bed just for them because we love spinach.    

Snow peas are growing fast but there are no pods yet. Any moment we'll be eating peas––oh the anticipation! Planting from seeds is worth the wait but patience is not always easy. 

6 comments:

  1. wow those snow pea plants look really awesome, Priscilla.
    Love your pasta with spinach and zucchini too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment! Have a great day! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Priscilla,

    Oh no, what was happened to you? I hope that you'll get well soon my dear.

    By the way, the pasta looks sooo good! I would like to try it when I'm free :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I'm doing better but I will get a test done to find out what's going on with my throat. Thank you for asking. Let me know how the recipe turns out!

      Delete
  3. Hi Priscilla, the peas look very healthy and the dinner looks delicious! I can't wait to see all the goodies come in that you have planted. Can you post some photos of the area of Idaho that you are in, I would love to see some of the topography too.

    We had fires this last week, but thankfully none came more than a few miles from us and the winds were going away from us at the time. It has been so hot here, 104 on thurs. but the garden seems to be doing okay so far. Next week should be cooler. Thank you for stopping by, it is always so nice to see your comments. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Priscilla,
    Sorry to hear about your throat and soft diet. Hope you recover real soon.
    Your pasta dish looks delicious, and with homegrown spinach, sounds wonderful!
    The peas are looking lush and healthy, hopefully they'll provide you with lots of harvest.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by. I love reading your comments and thank you for taking the time. Have a wonderful day! :-)

♥ Priscilla