Here's my simple recipe for the pasta…
Linguine with spinach, zucchini, caramelized shallots and gruyere sauce
• 8 oz organic linguine (I used organic Jerusalem artichoke inulin, soft texture made it easier on my throat but cook with whatever you want)
• 1 cup or a handful spinach, chopped
• 1 medium zucchini, sliced
• 1 large shallot, sliced thinly
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• About 1/4 cup Italian flat parsley, coarsely chopped (reserve a little for garnish)
• 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1 tsp unsalted butter
• 1/2 cup gruyere cheese (more if you want it cheesy)
• 1 cup or more Half & Half cream (depends how much sauce you like)
• 1/4 cup reduced fat cream cheese (helps thicken the sauce, add more as needed)
• 1 tsp onion powder
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Boil pasta in salted water according to package directions. Coat pasta with a little olive oil after draining. Keep warm until sauce is done.
2. While pasta is cooking, in a sauce pan sautée shallots in olive oil and butter over medium heat until caramelized. Stir occasionally and the shallots will turn a nice golden brown but be careful not to burn. Add garlic and stir for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
3. Add zucchini and cook until almost soft.
4. Pour Half & Half cream in the same pan and simmer over low to medium heat but don't boil so the sauce won't curdle. Add gruyere cheese and stir frequently until melted. Mix in the cream cheese to desired consistency, use more if you prefer a thicker sauce.
5. Sprinkle parsley in the sauce but reserve some for garnishing. Add onion powder, salt and pepper to taste.
6. About the last 4 minutes of cooking, toss the spinach in and stir. Serve sauce immediately over linguine and garnish with remaining parsley on top.