"Every house where love abides and friendship is a guest, is surely home, and home sweet home for there the heart can rest." -Henry Van Dyke

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Salad party?

The lettuce in my garden are prolific. I planted them from organic seeds indoor (top photo) and they weren't happy after transplanting a few weeks ago. I'm glad they're doing great now. I direct-sown the seeds outside in a container (bottom photo) and they're growing well. Lettuce in the raised bed are Little Gem, Green Salad Bowl, Red Velvet, Rouge d' Hiver and Red Sails. In the container we have gourmet salad blend, something new this year and they all tasted wonderful.

I always put lettuce in my husband's sandwiches he can take to work. We recently enjoyed salad with green onions and homemade balsamic vinaigrette. I need to come up with more dressing recipes because there are so much lettuce. I'm not sure we can eat them all, perhaps we should have a salad party! Are you growing lettuce in your garden? What are your favorite dressing recipes?

6 comments:

  1. I picked a few leaves off some lettuce this morning for a sandwich, the first picking of the season & they were so tasty & fresh! I tend to sprinkle some balsamic vinegar & lemon juice on my leaves if I am making a salad, I don't use dressings as such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lettuce from the garden for sandwiches are great! Simple dressings are always good.

      Delete
  2. Hi Priscilla,
    Wow, your salad greens are doing great! I can never grow salad leaves healthily, but am not giving up! Will try again. I love using a squeeze of lemon juice whisk with some honey, and drizzle over the leaves, simple but good, especially good over bitter leaves like frisee lettuce.
    Hope you are getting better. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Joyce. Lettuce likes cool weather. You can also find a spot where they get morning sun and afternoon shade or grow tall plants near them. I didn't plant them where they'll get shade so I'm afraid my lettuce will bolt when the weather gets hotter!

      Delete
  3. I too just harvested some salads from my balcony...but must say that yours look so much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving a comment! I'm glad the lettuce are doing well this year, it wasn't so good last year but it's different every season.

      Delete

I'm glad you stopped by. I love reading your comments and thank you for taking the time. Have a wonderful day! :-)

♥ Priscilla