"Every house where love abides and friendship is a guest, is surely home, and home sweet home for there the heart can rest." -Henry Van Dyke

Friday, June 13, 2014

Container garden perennials

This post is long overdue. I'm a busy mommy of a toddler but finally here are photos of my container garden in late May and early June. I've grown Daylilies in the past with success but this is a new one for me, Asiatic lilies (Tiny Padheye). They look similar to Daylilies but the blooms last longer. The vibrant color caught my eye, I couldn't resist picking up this beauty at the nursery.  

Geranium biokovo, I like the dainty pink and white petals. She looks lovely. Suddenly this bee decided to get in the picture but I don't mind, we need more bees. 

I planted Columbine from seeds 3 years ago and they're still doing well. I even pulled them out a couple of times from the raised bed when we moved. The plants are tough.

Here's another variety of Columbine (winky double mix). The blooms seem to last for a long time. All the flowers are in pots and not in a permanent location yet. My plan is to design a potager. I love the informal cottage look combining edibles and flowers. 
 
The garden is currently a mess with weeds around and inside the vegetable beds. The weeds has taken over since we got rid of the grass under the beds. It will take time to have the garden of my dreams. We need to save up for an arbor, gate, picket fence and build better raised beds… you know what I mean!

Veggie garden update: We're so happy about our lettuce that was planted from seeds. I cut and they come back every other day. They're prolific, healthy and we have more salad than we can eat. I'm thankful we don't have problems with lettuce pests. I refuse to spray pesticides in my organic garden. We want our food free of toxic chemicals. 

Baby photo time! My sweet 18 month old daughter, Alyssa. She gets kisses all day. 

What's growing fantastic in your garden? Are you harvesting vegetables? :)

15 comments:

  1. I grow some similar salads too..just cut some to make a salad with some peaches I bought for the lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! It's fun growing different varieties of lettuce. Salad is so good and experimenting with new dressings!

      Delete
  2. I do believe you can eat day lilies, not that I have tried them myself. Your lettuce is amazing so fresh & colourful! Your daughter is so cute & pretty, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting about eating Daylilies but I'm not sure I want to try them either ha ha! Thank you for the sweet compliment about my little girl!

      Delete
  3. Alyssa is adorable!
    Our lettuce has been a bumper crop this year also and we've been taking advantage by eating lots of salads, it's been great. Your containers look great. Columbines do last a long time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the compliment about Alyssa. She's my baby doll. Lettuce must be doing well in Boise, it has to be our wonderful weather. I hope the rest of the vegetables do great this summer! :)

      Delete
  4. Such lovely photos Priscilla. Your flowers are looking so beautiful, along with your darling daughter Alyssa, a real rose!! Have a wonderful week, from a new follower :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you say your lettuce comes back every other day, do you mean the leaves grow back that quickly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they seem to grow back that quickly. Lettuce is abundant and successful this year.

      Delete
  6. Hi Priscilla,
    I'm just popping over from Joyce's Potted Garden and I sure am glad I did. I just love all your potted plants especially that Winky, which may just need to be added to my garden as soon as possible:) I've never seen it before and it is so pretty. I hope you don't mind that I pinned it to my Garden Pinterest board:)

    Talking about gorgeousness, your daughter is simply adorable. I can see why she would be getting kisses every day, lol...Thank you so much for sharing your garden with us. I must stop back soon to see what else is going on in your garden. Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, thank you for your kind compliments. Sure you can pin my photos on Pinterest. The Winky blooms last a long time, I hope you find them! Thank you for visiting here. Have a great week! :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Priscilla, I did Pin it so I remember to find one. I will definitely be on the hunt for that Winky!

      P.S. I know we just "met", but you are more than welcome to join us to play the Picnic Game OR, you can always throw down a blanket for the Round-up, July 1st:)

      Delete
  7. Oh my.. your letucce so GORGEOUS! How envy I am!

    Hi sweetie-pie Alyssa! You look so gorgeous too sweetheart! *kiss*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and for the nice compliments about Alyssa! Have a wonderful week! :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Priscilla,
    Wow, gorgeous blooms! Love your garden with beautiful flowers and veggies. And your lettuce is simply beautiful! We are experiencing a dry spell right now, with really hot weather and no rain for the last few weeks! Though I water the plants frequently, some of them are not doing well right now. And the ones that are doing OK, like the arugula, got eaten up by the grasshoppers! Urgh!!
    Alyssa is such a sweet adorable little girl! 18 months have already gone by? Times really flies!
    I can see why she gets kisses everyday! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by. I love reading your comments and thank you for taking the time. Have a wonderful day! :-)

♥ Priscilla