"Every house where love abides and friendship is a guest, is surely home, and home sweet home for there the heart can rest." -Henry Van Dyke

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Homemade pizza dough: Bacon, arugula, roasted garlic and goat cheese

I've been wanting to make pizza dough from scratch long ago but I just didn't get around to it. If I served pizza it was usually made with store-bought crust. Never again! The other day I got ambitious and went for it so I researched pizza crust online and decided to try Food Network star Bobby Flay's recipe. I'm so glad I did because it was scrumptious. Hubby and my little girl ate a lot. Here's the link to the pizza dough. I chose bread flour and followed the recipe but I added about 1/4 tsp garlic powder (optional) while mixing the dough in my KitchenAid® stand mixer. I used sea salt. The recipe will give you 2 crusts unless you're making a really large pizza!

The crust was crispy yet soft in the middle and perfect for us. I love cheese and you can never add too much. I could've rolled the dough a little thinner but Bryan actually liked the thickness. It was easy to prepare but it's important that the water you use is 110 degrees F so the yeast will get activated properly. I covered the oiled bowl with plastic wrap and kept it in a warm place before kneading. Let the dough rise and double in size for an hour. I made the crust while my daughter took a nap and our pizza was ready on time for dinner. Patience is the key because homemade is the best! Next goal: Work on aesthetics––kneading and shaping a better pizza…  

We have arugula planted from seeds and green onions so why not use them for toppings? :)   

If only there were ripe tomatoes in my garden but they're not ready yet so I made pizza sauce with canned tomato sauce. Recipes of that along with the toppings are below.

 Quick pizza sauce 

*Oregano and parsley harvest 

1 can 15 oz organic tomato sauce, no salt added preferred (I made a large amount to have next time)
About 1/2 cup organic tomato paste 
1/2 tsp fresh oregano, finely chopped
1/2 tsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
1/4 tsp fresh garlic, minced
1/4 tsp granulated onion
Sea salt and black pepper to taste 

1. Combine all ingredients thoroughly. Store in a jar or container, covered. Sauce will stay fresh in the refrigerator for 5 days but freeze it after that. Thaw in the fridge before using. I put about 2/3 cup sauce on the raw pizza dough but keep adding your desired amount.   

 

Toppings for a 16" pizza 

 *Arugula and green onions harvest

Serves 3-4

 Uncured bacon, 5 pieces (reserve bacon grease)
 4 cloves of garlic or more, chopped
 Goat cheese, 1/2 cup or more (depends how cheesy you want)
 Shredded mozzarella, 1/2 cup or more
 Arugula, a big handful 
 Sliced green onions, about 1/4 cup   

1. Preheat oven at 450 degrees F. Fry bacon in a pan over medium heat and save the grease, you'll use it for the garlic. Remove bacon and slice them about 1" pieces, set aside. Sauté garlic in bacon oil over low to medium heat until fragrant and a light golden color. 
2. Put the pizza dough on top of a slightly oiled (olive oil or cooking spray) pan then add  sauce, cheese and all the toppings spreading them evenly. 
3. Bake the pizza in the oven for around 20 minutes or until desired crispness and crust is golden.  

   
 

6 comments:

  1. Looks delicious :) I love how you used goat cheese and homegrown green onions and arugula. Homemade pizza is the BEST!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, thank you for your comment. Homemade is the best! The pizza you posted on your Facebook page looks great also! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Priscilla,

    I'm glad that you tried to make your own pizza crust instead of buying the ready made one. Your pizza look so yums!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes homemade is better. I want to keep making my own pizza crust. Thank you for stopping by here! :)

      Delete
  3. The fruits of my tomato plants are still very tiny :-(( Too much rain over here..
    Your pizza looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Angie. I hope your tomatoes will be prolific!

      Delete

I'm glad you stopped by. I love reading your comments and thank you for taking the time. Have a wonderful day! :-)

♥ Priscilla