"Every house where love abides and friendship is a guest, is surely home, and home sweet home for there the heart can rest." -Henry Van Dyke

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Lemonade-glazed chicken drumsticks

Summer is near and we've been using the grill often since the weather began warming up in May. Here's an easy recipe that's tasty if you're in the mood for barbecue. My confession is this, I'm not good with the grill but my husband is excellent. We make a great team and dinner is ready faster when we work together. I have what seems to be an endless supply of lettuce in the garden therefore salad was on the menu. The Parmesan roasted garlic dressing was my own concoction. The first time I made it I used too much fresh garlic so go easy on that or your dressing will be spicy! The second time around turned out perfect. 

 

Lemonade-glazed chicken drumsticks (adapted from Vermont Castings Modern Grilling, Gary Ralph)

*Lettuce and green onions harvest

Serves 2-3

Note: The recipe called for wings but we had drumsticks. I made a few changes. Go ahead and improvise :) to save time, you can marinate overnight then grill the next day.

Lemonade marinade:
• 1/4 cup frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed (I substituted organic lemonade juice and it was yummy)
• 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce 
• 3 tbsp vegetable oil (I used canola)
• 2 tbsp honey
• 2 tsp Dijon mustard
• 1/2 tsp garlic, finely minced
• 1/2 tsp fresh chopped thyme or 1/4 tsp dried 

Chicken:
2-3 pounds wings or drumsticks 


1. In a small sauce pan, combine all marinade ingredients. Heat just to boiling over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside until completely cool. 
2. Place chicken in a large resealable plastic bag. Add half of the cooled marinade, turning to coat. Refrigerate for 3-5 hours, turning bag occasionally. Refrigerate remaining marinade also. 
3. Preheat grill to medium-high (hubby said low heat and slow cooking makes chicken juicy and not dry). Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Place on grate over heat. Cover grill and cook for 20-25 minutes or until well done, turning chicken and brushing with reserved marinade every 5 to 10 minutes. Garnish chicken with green onions (optional). Serve with salad and dressing.   

Parmesan roasted garlic dressing:
There's enough dressing to last for a while. Refrigerate 5-7 days.
 
• 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
• 1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
• 1 cup Half & Half cream 
• 1/2 cup or more shredded Parmesan cheese 
• 1 clove garlic
• 1/4 tsp garlic powder or to taste
• 1 tsp olive oil 
• Sea salt and white pepper to taste (you can also use black pepper)

1. In a small pan over low heat, sauté garlic clove in olive oil until nicely golden then set aside. Avoid burning the garlic or the dressing will become bitter. The first time I made this I used 6 garlic cloves because we're garlic lovers but that was a big mistake! :D 
2. Heat Half & Half cream on a small sauce pan over low to medium heat and let it simmer, add Parmesan cheese slowly with a pinch of salt and stir frequently to avoid cheese from curdling. The sauce should thicken up, use more cheese as needed. Let it cool and set aside. 
3. In a blender add mayonnaise, sour cream, roasted garlic and cooled Parmesan mixture. Blend until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Stir in garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. Use more Half & Half cream to thin out. Refrigerate covered until ready to enjoy.   


12 comments:

  1. Hi Priscilla,

    The drumsticks look so delicious! I should try this one fine day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the chicken drumsticks were yummy!

      Delete
  2. They look lipsmackingly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy... so appetizing! Thanks for sharing the recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting. I'll be posting more recipes and garden progress.

      Delete
  4. Hi Priscilla,
    Delicious is just the word to describe how it looks! And the Parmesan dressing sounds so good! Yummy! My family would be all smiles if served with your delicious drumsticks! And I like your homegrown lettuce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, thank you for the wonderful compliments. I appreciate your kindness!

      Delete
  5. Checked the image and the recipe and I think it look delicious,\. Got to try this out sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Please let me know how it turns out if you try the recipe!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for this recipe, it is on my list to try at my next BBQ... when the rain stops!! Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the BBQ! We need more rain in Idaho so I can get a break from watering the garden, lol!

      Delete

I'm glad you stopped by. I love reading your comments and thank you for taking the time. Have a wonderful day! :-)

♥ Priscilla