"Every house where love abides and friendship is a guest, is surely home, and home sweet home for there the heart can rest." -Henry Van Dyke

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Snow peas harvest! Noodles recipe part 2: Saimin with chicken (Hawaiian noodle soup)

I love Hawaii. I've traveled to Maui alone. Bryan and I got married in Kauai at the beach, barefoot on the sand. I have fond memories and after 9 years, I still reminisce about the islands and often listen to the music. Hawaii is a place that's dear to my heart. One of my favorite local dish is saimin, a noodle and broth soup. I tried to recreate the flavor but it's not easy when we don't have all the ingredients available. If only I could find saimin noodles, it would be more authentic but I used soba. This post is a continuation of my previous one on snow peas harvest part 1.

Taiwan Sugar snow peas fresh from the garden. They're sweet, crunchy and yummy. We're picking peas every other day and I recently began preserving them in the freezer. I'm planning on storing some for the winter if we don't end up eating them all before then! 

The snow peas plant is enormous. This is actually an older photo from about 2 weeks ago so it's much bigger now. It's around 6 feet tall and takes up quite a bit of space. It's my first time growing snow peas so I was surprised. The willow trellis support is not the best but the peas continue to produce well.      

The flowers are beautiful if you take a closer look. Many snow peas are ready to harvest again so I'll be having a preservation session today or tomorrow. Recipe for the noodle soup is below…

Saimin with chicken

*Snow peas, spinach and green onions harvest

Serves 2   

Note: Toppings vary depending on what you're in the mood for. Locals in Hawaii are into Spam, it's like their staple food! :) Others add shrimp, char sui (Chinese BBQ pork), fish cake, vegetables and whatever you prefer. I made it with chicken and we're also egg people. Spinach and green onions were available in my garden so I put them in the dish with delicious snow peas of course.            


• 2 bundles of soba (Japanese buckwheat) or saimin noodles if you can find it
• 2-3 pieces of bone-in chicken thighs  

1/4 tsp fresh ginger, minced 
1clove garlic, minced
• Vegetables of your choice (peas, spinach, green onions, carrots, etc.)
• Chicken broth, about 6 cups
• 2 Hard boiled eggs or fried egg, sliced (optional) 

Hawaiian red sea salt to taste (substitute sea salt if needed)
• Reduced sodium soy sauce to taste
• Black pepper to taste

1. Follow directions on the package for soba: Boil noodles, drain, rinse with cold water and drain again.
If you want eggs, cook them now and set aside with the noodles. 
2. Simmer enough water in a pot over medium heat for chicken and cook with the skin, this will add flavor to the soup. Meanwhile, prepare your vegetables, ginger and garlic.
3. When chicken is well done, remove the skin and bones. Shred chicken into small pieces then toss them back into the pot. Add chicken broth, ginger, garlic and vegetables.
4. Stir in Hawaiian red sea salt and soy sauce to taste. Top with eggs.     

10 comments:

  1. This must have tasted particularly delicious, esp. when the ingredients come from your own garden.
    Have a wonderful week ahead!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was comfort food and yes delicious with ingredients from the garden. Have a great week! :)

      Delete
  2. It looks great, its a lovely feeling knowing you have grown something to contribute to a much loved meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne. It's rewarding to grow vegetables and we have the privilege to eat them right away, enjoying fresh ingredients in my cooking.

      Delete
  3. Hi Priscilla!

    Oh my.. you snow peas look so gorgeous! How I wish I can have one..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. The peas are doing well. I'm harvesting every other day and freezing them for the future! :)

      Delete
  4. Look yummy and become more delicious cause you cook your own veggies. Thanks for sharing this recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving a comment. Vegetables from the garden are awesome!

      Delete
  5. Hi Priscilla,
    I'm so green with envy! :)
    Your snow pea plants are looking gorgeous! Are they grown as one lot with many plants or just from a few plants? They look incredible!
    And delicious noodles, taste all the more special from homegrown veggies! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce :) the peas are healthy but they're starting to fall over because the plants are tall and heavy so I need to tie them to the support. They're producing every other day. The peas were sown from seeds that I planted close together and didn't thin. There are plenty of plants in a small bed. My snow peas are sweet and have a nice crunch, the smaller ones are tender and even sweeter!

      Delete

I'm glad you stopped by. I love reading your comments and thank you for taking the time. Have a wonderful day! :-)

♥ Priscilla