"Every house where love abides and friendship is a guest, is surely home, and home sweet home for there the heart can rest." -Henry Van Dyke

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Peaches from our tree part 1: Brown sugar-cinnamon peach pie

Summer is almost over, can you believe it? Time is going by too fast. We're just about done harvesting all of our sweet peaches. I had many plans for them but my toddler and husband love snacking on peaches everyday that I didn't have enough to make jam. However, I baked a yummy peach pie with a flaky butter crust. Summer would be incomplete without pies especially with sun-ripened peaches from the backyard.

I found this delicious recipe but I made changes. Some wasn't on purpose, I'll tell you later. I tend to become forgetful these days. Ever since we had a baby, I developed "mommy brain". My daughter is almost 2 and that also explains it! I tried this recipe because we're a fan of cinnamon. The warmth of the spice complements peaches and who doesn't like brown sugar? :-) 

My husband is begging me to make more peach pie. Funny how he used to hate peaches at a young age and now he likes them again. He counted all the peaches that are left on the tree and he reminds me daily that peaches will rot and fall to the ground if I don't make another pie! Life can get so busy and there are times I have to put a few things things on hold. I need to slow down. I'm telling myself to breathe and be still. Relax… or eat a slice of pie and vanilla ice cream topped with honey-glazed pecans. Enjoy the moment. Ah that's better!    

"First we eat, then we do everything else." -M.F.K. Fisher

Brown sugar-cinnamon peach pie (adapted from Southern Living, my recipes.com)

Serves 8

Pie crust
1-1/3 cups cold butter
  • 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided 
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup ice-cold water 

  • Filling
  • large fresh, firm, ripe peaches (about 4 lbs)
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon plus about 1/4 tsp for sprinkling on top of crust 
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1-1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces (step I forgot)
  • large egg, beaten 
  • 1-1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar for sprinkling on top of crust

  • 1. Cut 1-1/3 cups butter into small cubes and chill for 15 minutes. Freezing the butter works well for me. Stir together 4 cups flour, 1-1/2 tsp salt and 1 tbsp sugar. Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender or food processor until mixture resembles small peas. Gradually stir in 1/2 cup ice water, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened and dough begins to form a ball then leaves sides of the bowl. Add more ice water 1 tbsp at a time, if necessary. Don't make dough too wet and sticky. Turn dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap; press and shape dough into 2 flat disks. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap, and chill 30 minutes to 24 hours. You can freeze the dough for future use then thaw as needed. 
  • 2. Place 1 dough disk on a lightly floured surface; sprinkle dough lightly with flour. Roll dough to about 1/4-inch thickness. Starting at one edge of the dough, wrap dough around a rolling pin. Place rolling pin over a 9-inch pie plate and unroll dough over pie plate. Press dough into pie plate.
  • 3. Roll remaining dough disk to about 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. (I kept pie crusts in the fridge until ready to fill).
  • 4. Preheat oven to 425° degrees F. Peel peaches and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices; cut slices in half. (I didn't cut peaches in half, I wanted larger slices). Stir together brown sugar, cinnamon (I added extra 1 tsp), sugar, salt and remaining 1/4 cup flour in a bowl; add peaches, stirring to coat. Immediately spoon peach mixture into pie crust and dot with 1-1/2 tbsp butter. (I forgot the butter and it was too late when I put the crust on top. Not a big deal since the pie was fine without it). I'll remember the butter next time. Don't make the mixture ahead or it will become too juicy.   
  • 5. Carefully place remaining pie crust over filling; press edges of crusts together to seal. Cut off excess crust and reserve if you want for other pies. Crimp edges of pie. Cut 4 to 5 slits on top of pie for steam to escape. Brush top of crust with beaten egg. Sprinkle with 1-1/2 tbsp sugar plus 1/4 tsp cinnamon if you like.
  • 6. Bake at 425° degrees F on lower oven rack 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375° degrees F and bake for 40 minutes. Cover loosely with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning and bake 25 more minutes or until juices are thick and bubbly. Juices will bubble through the top. Transfer to a wire rack; cool 1-2 hours before serving. Note: I skipped step 6 on the original recipe. It didn't affect the final result. You can serve the peach pie with vanilla ice cream. I sautéed pecan pieces with a little honey in the pan over low heat and sprinkled on top of the ice cream.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Priscilla,
    This looks amazing! I have a counter full of peaches that I bought a few days ago and they are just now feeling ready for a pie or jam. I must print out this recipe and make it this week. I am so glad that you are baking. It is inspiring me. Also I wanted to stop by to give you this link to a man that bakes the most amazing breads. I have been following his blog for years. I think you would have a lot of fun trying some of his recipes. http://breadmantalking.blogspot.com/

    Keep baking and keep posting those amazing photos!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow Peaches from your own garden...how awesome is that! The pie must taste particularly sweet and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pie! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How amazing to have your own peaches growing in the backyard! Your pie looks absolutely delicious. Oh...and I know exactly what you mean with the "mommy brain." All us other mommies are all in the same boat. Relax and have some pie first! Love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by. I love reading your comments and thank you for taking the time. Have a wonderful day! :-)

♥ Priscilla