"Every house where love abides and friendship is a guest, is surely home, and home sweet home for there the heart can rest." -Henry Van Dyke

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Quick homemade flour tortillas

Homemade tortillas for quesadillas with cheese and roasted summer heirloom squash (Ronde De Nice) from my garden. I served it with garden tomatoes salsa. Simple meal, toddler approved.  
I had no idea how easy it was to make flour tortillas. It's fun, fast and they taste great. My mother-in-law mentioned she made them in 4th grade class! I usually buy organic whole wheat tortillas but we always have a lot of left over that they end up going stale. My daughter doesn't like store-bought tortillas but she'll eat homemade. She's such a foodie! This recipe doesn't have a strong wheat flavor and the texture is soft. First thing to do on the mixer or by hand is to combine 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp salt. 

Using the dough hook (or a fork), stir in oil and water all at once with the mixer on medium speed. Knead the dough for around 5-6 minutes.   

On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough a little bit more. Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces then cut each piece in half.    

Form each piece into 8 balls of dough. Mine could've been smoother but thankfully they turned out well…

Put a pan on the stove over medium heat. Flatten first ball of dough into a disk. Roll to about 7 inches or bigger if you're making burritos and turn over frequently. Do your best but it's okay if it's not perfectly round, they're not factory tortillas! :-) Wrap the rest of the dough in plastic until ready to use so they don't dry out. When the pan has been pre-heated, place tortilla you rolled in the ungreased pan. 

Cook tortilla one at a time for around 30-40 seconds until you see it bubbling then flip it over and cook for 30-40 seconds. First side should be pale and sprinkled with brown spots and the other side will be blotched. Repeat the process with other balls of dough. I want my tortillas to be much thinner in the future so I'll be working on that. 

Keep the delicious warm tortillas covered so they'll stay soft. I like doing a small batch and 8 are perfect for my family. I just prepare fresh tortillas each time I need them. So far I've made quesadillas and carnitas tacos. I think I'll be making enchiladas and breakfast burritos next. No need to buy tortillas from the store any longer!   


Whole wheat flour tortillas (adapted from Troy A. Hakala at food.com)

Makes 8 tortillas


• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon baking powder (I prefer aluminum-free)
• 4 tablespoons canola oil (I used vegetable)
• 2/3 cup water (warm)


1. In a medium bowl combine flours, baking powder and salt.
2. Stir in the oil and water all at once, using a mixer or a fork and toss quickly.

3. When dough can be gathered into a soft mass, turn onto floured surface and knead a few times.
4. Form 8 balls of dough, dredge lightly in flour and store in a plastic bag to prevent until ready to be used. I don't use too much flour since that will cause tortillas to become dry. 
5. Flatten first ball of dough into a disk.
6. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface until 7 inches or larger with even strokes that do not reach to the edge, turning over frequently.
7. Place tortilla in ungreased, frying pan that has been preheated to medium-high heat.
8. Cook 30-40 seconds on one side, turn over with spatula and cook 30-40 seconds on the other side. First side should be pale and sprinkled with brown spots and the other side will be blotched. 
9. Repeat the process with other balls of dough.
10. Stack tortillas on a plate as they are cooked and cover them with a dish towel, which will keep them soft.




5 comments:

  1. Oh, they look delicious! I've never thought about making tortillas and will have to give it a go. They have to be better than store bought, good and fresh! Your garden and veggies below look great too, it's wonderful to go out in the back yard and pick the veggies you grew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These tortillas look perfect, Priscilla and I like them made with wholewheat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tortillas and quesadillas so I imagine home made ones are really yummy. They look good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look so delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Priscilla,
    Your tortillas are perfect! And look so delicious served with your homegrown veggie salsa!

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by. I love reading your comments and thank you for taking the time. Have a wonderful day! :-)

♥ Priscilla