"Every house where love abides and friendship is a guest, is surely home, and home sweet home for there the heart can rest." -Henry Van Dyke

Saturday, August 16, 2014

So easy homemade butter

Just like my previous post on homemade flour tortillas, I didn't know how easy it was to make your own butter. I wanted to try it for myself. My husband told me he sort of remember making butter in Boy Scouts when he was eleven years old. He said they made butter in a jar stirring it forever with a stick!

My curiosity led me to making butter and no you don't need a cow! :-) Others make it the old-fashioned way in a jar shaking the cream vigorously for a long time. That's tedious but it's possible. Ingredients and equipment for making butter: Good quality heavy whipping cream (warm on the counter for about an hour), salt (optional), a stand mixer, colander or cheesecloth, bowl and you're good to go. Let's have fun and churn the cream…

Put 1 pint (2 cups) of heavy whipping cream (I used organic) on the mixing bowl. Be sure to thoroughly cover the mixer with plastic wrap because the butter mixture will splatter all over the place. Using the paddle of the mixer, turn the speed to medium-high. In a couple of minutes the cream will whip into peaks and then become grainy. Continue whipping until the butter and liquid (buttermilk) separate, this could be anywhere from 8-10 minutes. Mine took around 8 minutes to solidify.

Strain off the liquid (buttermilk) from the butter using a colander or cheesecloth into a bowl. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible. I read somewhere you can use the liquid for baking or making pancakes. I've never tried that but you could save the buttermilk in the refrigerator if you want to use it later. 

Wash the butter with water. Doing so will prevent it from spoiling too fast. Some suggest washing with ice water in a bowl but I simply used my hands under cold running water until the water ran clear. Butter will store longer when rinsed properly and the water is no longer cloudy.


Add salt if you like starting with 1/4 tsp at a time or to taste. Knead the butter to mix with your hands or in the stand mixer. Now you have butter and it didn't take long! Label, date and keep in the fridge for 2-3 weeks or in the freezer for a few months. I used a canning jar. I think mason jars are practical and economical for storage.

It's fabulous having homemade soft roll with homemade butter, what could be better? :-)    

Homemade bread you can spread with delicious butter, oh yes. Homesteading is great!

You could get fancy by adding herbs and spices to your butter. I did a combination of fresh thyme from my garden with garlic. We can get creative with this. 

How about honey butter? Combine 3/4 cup butter with 1/3 cup honey or more to desired sweetness then use a mixer to whip them together until light and fluffy. You can also try adding 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder, yum that sounds tasty for breakfast!

Have you tried making butter? Do you like making herb butter and what herbs did you use?    

3 comments:

  1. I like flavoured butter, esp. with fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage and parsley are my favourites) and of course garlic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... looks so simple. I'm really interested, and hope I can try it soon. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing better then homemade butter! I still like doing it the old fashioned way...and my boys like to help shaking the jar :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by. I love reading your comments and thank you for taking the time. Have a wonderful day! :-)

♥ Priscilla