"Every house where love abides and friendship is a guest, is surely home, and home sweet home for there the heart can rest." -Henry Van Dyke

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Peaches from our tree part 2: Canning smoky peach barbecue sauce

Lately I've been behind on my blog. Busy as always. So many photos and things to talk about, not enough time. I do my best to keep you updated! :-) Today I'm excited to share this small batch smoky peach barbecue sauce recipe, a post that's long overdue. We love it since the sauce has the right amount of tang, spice and sweetness.

Remember those peaches from our little tree? This basket was the last harvest. My husband and daughter snacked on peaches almost daily, I didn't have enough for more pies or peach jam. But what I decided to do was make barbecue sauce. Oh yes, it was scrumptious!
   
Canning is becoming my new hobby and we're storing food from the garden for winter. What can you do when your harvest is prolific? Share the bounty and preserve the rest! Designing the canning labels is an enjoyable project too, I had a blast dressing up the jars.

I made minor changes to the original barbecue sauce recipe. My husband likes a more smoky flavor therefore I added a tiny bit of liquid smoke. It's very potent, you don't want to overdo it or the sauce will have an artificial taste. I also put more brown sugar to balance out the tartness from the vinegar. I used jalapeño pepper since that's what we had in my garden. I only added 1/4 tsp so it's not that spicy for my toddler. 

Peach barbecue sauce is great with chicken. I marinated chicken thighs with this fruity sauce. Bryan cooked it on the grill for dinner yesterday. You can also try the sauce with pork ribs and perhaps grilled shrimp. Yummy! 

I doubled the recipe and I was able to get 4 half-pint (8 oz) jars. The amount depends on how much you cook it down. We like thick barbecue sauce. The jars are going fast and next year when we have peaches again, I'll definitely be canning this sauce a lot more.     

Smoky peach barbecue sauce
*My peaches, onion and jalapeño harvest

(Written with permission by Simple Bites adapted from Marisa McClellan, Food in Jars

4 pounds yellow peaches, approximately 14 peaches (do not substitute with white peaches)
1-1/2 cups apple cider vinegar (do not alter amount for canning safety reasons)
1 cup plus 2 tbsp brown sugar
1 cup minced white or yellow onion 
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp liquid smoke (hickory or mesquite) 
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper powder 
1/4 tsp fresh jalapeño pepper
4 tsp salt 

1. Rinse the peaches, cut in half then remove stones and peels. If peels are hard to remove, blanch in boiling hot water for a minute or two. Combine all ingredients in a non-reactive medium stockpot, I used stainless steel. Cover with a lid and cook over medium-high heat until peaches are soft, around 20 minutes. Meanwhile prepare the jars for water bath canning
2. Use a potato masher to break down the peaches. Continue to cook with the lid off until the sauce has been reduced to about half. Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth (Vitamix is perfect for that) or use an immersion blender. 
3. If the sauce is the consistency you like, it's done. If not, return to the heat and simmer over medium-high heat uncovered until you get the desired thickness. Stir often so the sauce doesn't burn in the bottom. Season with more salt or pepper to taste as needed.
4. Ladle the sauce in hot sterilized jars leaving 1/2-inch head space. Wipe the rims to clean. Seal according to manufacturer's directions. Process in a boiling water bath canner for 20 minutes. Due to our altitude I processed it for 25 minutes. 

  


4 comments:

  1. Interesting! Actually I have no idea about peaches for barbecue sauce. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Priscilla,
    WOW! What can I say! Your peaches are gorgeous! I love it that you do you own canning at home. Your BBQ peach sauce looks wonderful. I would love to try making this sauce, but peaches are extremely expensive over here, since they are all imported. Your chicken dish looks really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Priscilla,

    Thank you for stopping by my blog and for following me.

    I'm something of an intermittent blogger at the moment but I will enjoy popping over for more lovely recipes. Delicious!

    Jeanne
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Priscilla, this sounds delicious. I will save this recipe and make some up for us and to give out for gifts this Christmas. Your jars are so cute! We still have peaches in the stores here and I will need to buy some for your recipe. I froze all the others that I have. I also need to make more peach jalapeno jelly so a peach run is will be on the list. Thank you for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by. I love reading your comments and thank you for taking the time. Have a wonderful day! :-)

♥ Priscilla